Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Ford E350 box truck with a bad transmission (no reverse and forward slipping) and I have removed the transmission from the vehicle.

I do not want to rebuild it myself, so should I,
  1. Take it to a transmission shop to have it rebuilt
  2. Take it to a transmission shop and exchange it for a rebuilt transmission
  3. Take it to a Ford dealer and exchange it for new, or
  4. Take it to an auto parts store and exchange it for a rebuilt one?
Mike

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
The issue with #1 is they have not test driven the vehicle. The transmission is out of vehicle
The issue with #3 is there are no NEW transmissions. The skill set for dealerships are typically the previous 10 to 15 model years.

Two and four are the same because they may be sourcing assemblies from the same place remanufacturer.
#2 - depending on the shop they may not want to do exchanges. They may prefer to do the work themselves.

It is a E4OD??? Here is a place to compare. But 1700 sounds high to me. And it has been a long time since I had any exposure to that kind of work.
Remanufactured 4R100 Transmissions | Street Smart® Transmission

Action

·
Registered
727 Posts
The issue with #1 is they have not test driven the vehicle. The transmission is out of vehicle
The issue with #3 is there are no NEW transmissions. The skill set for dealerships are typically the previous 10 to 15 model years.

Two and four are the same because they may be sourcing assemblies from the same place remanufacturer.
#2 - depending on the shop they may not want to do exchanges. They may prefer to do the work themselves.

It is a E4OD??? Here is a place to compare. But 1700 sounds high to me. And it has been a long time since I had any exposure to that kind of work.
Remanufactured 4R100 Transmissions | Street Smart® Transmission

Action
Hello,

Just a word on transmission rebuilds. I'm no expert but I have done several and I've priced out what it would cost to rebuild and build up a 4L80E which is GM's version of the E4OD/4R100. The E4OD/4R100 and 4L80E are big boys transmissions with big boy prices. It's nothing like trying to rebuild a C6, 700R4, 4L60E or TH-400 (been there done that). For me to properly build a 4L80E is going to cost me (my part cost) around 2800-3800 dollars depending on the condition of the drums, sun gears, planetary's and pump. The E4OD is no better off.

I'd be sooooo leery of a 1700 dollar rebuild on one of these transmissions. I have found there are cheaply made parts and properly made parts that are expensive. Even a rebuilt triple disc torque converter will run upwards of a 1000 dollars for these transmission all by itself.

When shopping for a place that rebuilds transmissions I'd really do your homework on them as there are seemingly more bad shops than good shops. To this date there doesn't seem to be one good transmission shop in ABQ, all I hear are horror stories. Even my UPS driver asked me if I'd rebuild his transmission in his truck. You things are bad when it comes down to this. :oops:

A good transmission shop will not even do walk ins. A good transmission shop will want to scan the ECU for codes because things like a faulty MAF sensor can kill a transmission by lowering line pressure too low and cause it to slip and burn an expensive rebuild right from the get go. They will not warranty that.

Electronically controlled transmissions are too interconnected to a vehicle now-a-days. Those old days of simple rebuilds are gone.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
I guess I am still in the C4 and C6 world. Have done a number of those. But not this century.

I also avoid doing that kind of work because transmission servicing happens every 36000 miles on my daily drivers. Hobby cars are extended a bit because they don't see much use.

The notable DD exception that concerns me is the XF 6HP26 in my Navigator. This German transmission has no dip stick and is not serviceable.

And I digress from Mike's thread.

Action

·
Registered
727 Posts
I guess I am still in the C4 and C6 world. Have done a number of those. But not this century.

I also avoid doing that kind of work because transmission servicing happens every 36000 miles on my daily drivers. Hobby cars are extended a bit because they don't see much use.

The notable DD exception that concerns me is the XF 6HP26 in my Navigator. This German transmission has no dip stick and is not serviceable.

And I digress from Mike's thread.

Action
Hi Action,

I'm with you on the 36,000 miles fluid and filter change no matter what the manufacturer says. That's a really good way to keep a transmission happy along with 3,000 mile engine oil changes. :)

As for new transmissions they are just disposable, well actually the whole car now-a-days is disposable and that's just sad considering the incredulous prices of brand new vehicles.

Cheers my friend!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is the E40D. It was bad when I bought the truck from U-Haul but drivable but died at home after a 1000 mile journey, else I would have driven it to a transmission shop. A local mechanic who came out said it was "easy to drop and cheap to replace" - so my son dropped it (and it was quite easy) and that is why I am asking what next. The mechanic thought I could go to NAPA and exchange for a rebuilt one. Is it not that easy?

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
You would be better off getting a reman unit
You should have a tag number on the case that they can change over
to get the correct one
Plus you will have a warranty with it

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
Hey if NAPA has one that the price is acceptable to you, why not? I would assume NAPA gives a nationwide warranty.

Ideally I would want the replacement transmission to be of the same year. The E or electronic part of the transmission does the shifting. Not sure if the shifting characteristics are different from year to year.

And make sure to get all of the old fluid out of the cooler lines. That old fluid will have debris in it from the failure of the existing transmission. I am assuming you will get a new torque converter. If not the existing converter HAS to be well flushed. Then use what ever transmission fluid as specified by the seller.

Action

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found out NAPA units rebuilt by Movera which has many complaints of failing. Can anyone suggest another rebuilder?

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Have you tried the Ford dealer?
That's a hard question to answer
Sometimes reading reviews is misleading

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dominick1, just spoke with local ford dealer - $2900 with torque converter vs NAPA

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on. Ford quoted me $2900. NAPA at $2215. There is an outfit called Monster who quoted $1780 but don't like taking bottom quotes. Likely go with Ford and see if I can get a discount.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
On items like that Ford has a very small mark up
You may give it a shot
Won't hurt

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
Or find the vendor. The dealership is not doing the work. They are buying the transmission from somewhere. That somewhere may be selling wholesale price and would charge you retail if you bought direct. And knowing the vendor may help.

And it could be the dealership buys from Monster.

Lots of different thanks happen in the market place.

Action

1 - 14 of 14 Posts