Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased a 1967 Ford Custom base model. I really want to go back to the stock look as far as steel wheels. I have the original spare tire that has never been on the ground 8.15-15 and the height is 28" tall. Would going back to bias ply tires as the car was designed for be a better option for drivability or stay with radials. I am also wanting a bit wider steel wheels over stock. Stance looks good I just am looking for the proper height tires. Looking for direction please
10259504_10152014512861835_769548028949926568_n.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The originals were bias ply. But do not handle as well as a radial as stated above.

That spare would be neat to see. Just don't install on the car.
Is it a white wall or black wall?

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

The originals were bias ply. But do not handle as well as a radial as stated above.

That spare would be neat to see. Just don't install on the car.
Is it a white wall or black wall?

Action
IMG_3830.JPG
IMG_3831.JPG
IMG_3832.JPG

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
Sweet!!!

Put some conditioner on the rubber to keep it from cracking and use it for shows.

It would be interesting to know the date code. But I think that tire pre-dates date coding

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
Tires and a detour -

If you want tires that have better handling a radial design is the better tire
Ford Motor Company was the first domestic car company to install radials on a production vehicle. That was the 1970 Continental Mark III. Essentially the suspension design is the same of most full sized Ford Lincoln & Mercury from 1965. and later. The Mark III suspension was an exact copy of the fifth generation Thunderbird. (67 to 71)

The difference between radial and bias bly tires suspension was likely only shock absorbers. And that difference was slight.

The detour - would like to know more about your ride. (In a new thread) And likely another user that would be interested too.
Engine/transmission
Interior/exterior
Under hood/in trunk

I have seen very few Customs. Some Custom 500s. I think that is because the use of these were more in line with fleets. They were used hard and did not survive the decades of use. (Or mis-use)

Action

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet!!!

Put some conditioner on the rubber to keep it from cracking and use it for shows.

It would be interesting to know the date code. But I think that tire pre-dates date coding

Action
It is amazing. I aired it up from being dead flat and I didn't see any weather checking. It does have a slow leak, probably a rim leak guessing. I will check to see if it has a date code on it. On the registry I got with the car the last line is as follows...(5) 8.15x15 4 ply rated black sidewall Rayon tires. $15.49 I am not sure is the option was for a spare or upgraded tires over standard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tires and a detour -

If you want tires that have better handling a radial design is the better tire
Ford Motor Company was the first domestic car company to install radials on a production vehicle. That was the 1970 Continental Mark III. Essentially the suspension design is the same of most full sized Ford Lincoln & Mercury from 1965. and later. The Mark III suspension was an exact copy of the fifth generation Thunderbird. (67 to 71)

The difference between radial and bias bly tires suspension was likely only shock absorbers. And that difference was slight.

The detour - would like to know more about your ride. (In a new thread) And likely another user that would be interested too.
Engine/transmission
Interior/exterior
Under hood/in trunk

I have seen very few Customs. Some Custom 500s. I think that is because the use of these were more in line with fleets. They were used hard and did not survive the decades of use. (Or mis-use)

Action
This is the first 60's Ford I have driven in 45+ years. I mainly gravitated to either Ford or GM light trucks after the 70's Chevelle passion faded. The car is 68K original mile survivor from the south with original 289/FMX trans. It does have power steering and drives down the road perfectly straight and stops the same. The car floats like a boat and rolls on country roads. Shocks have been replaced by previous owner but don't have a timeframe. I would imagine new rubber bushings on everything would do wonders and perhaps a stabilizer bar in front down the road. I am trying to plug into the Ford community on what stock items from other years to be on the look out for.

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
You can pull back some of the floating and rolling with a bigger sway bar. The original one is hollow.
And do inspect rubber bushings as they can crack and shrink
Inspect and tighten steering gear box mounting, wheel bearings (they should be repacked anyway)
There two strut rods from the lower control arm to the first frame cross member. The bushings in there tend to get dry and then the lower control arm moves around too much
Greasing the ball joints can help as well.
Do inspect for excessive movement - ball joints, idler arm and tie rods

You can play with tire pressure. Change up or down by 2 PSI and then test drive. If you are good with sensing the ride, there will be a tire pressure spot the car will feel the best at. But get the suspension work handled first.

The 8.15 would have been the super wide tires (LOL) for the day. The standard would have been 7.50 or so wide.
The $15.49 would have been the added cost for the optional five wider tires over the cost of the standard size.

If this car has been sitting for a long time, consider replacing all fluids (Engine oil, Trans oil & coolant), all filters (engine, transmission, fuel & air) and a some rubber. Radiator hoses, heater hoses. short fuel line front & rear, fan belts, the rubber hose to the vacuum modulator to the transmission - actually like the fuel system it is rubber at both ends and steel in the center section/

Other things to inspect an replace as needed
Engine/transmission mounts
Transmission shift grommets
Universal joints
Brake hoses
Exhaust hangers
Steering column to gear flex joint (rag joint)

Action

Reactions: Zieg85

·
Registered
535 Posts
This link will help you find tire sizes to meet the parameters you are looking for. I currently run 225/75R15 and have run 235/70R15 in the past, which are both right around 28" tall. Tires for 15" wheels are getting hard to find, so expect limited choices.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Radial tires are just plain safe. They wear better, handle better, last longer, & ride better too....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts