Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I have the 2002 Ford Windstar 3.8v6 137k. The brake light has been on for a few years:wink5:. I borrowed the car a few months back and I checked the fluid level, swapped out the drum pistons that were leaking, changed the shoes and hardware and then the discs in front. I read about brake problems in this model on a few online forums but I don't know what the next step would be. I put alot of work into the car for the friend who lent it to me (fuel pump, egr valve, intake gaskets, battery, mass air sensor) just to get the check engine light off (which it did:wink5::wink5:) and now Im looking for a way to get that brake light off:eek:ut:. Any advice would be great! thanks

PS..... I know that driving with the brake light on is really stupid:hand: but I had no choice and the system was and is working fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is great, how do you guys got ahold of this kind of stuff? I've been told about leaking calipers, rusted ABS modules, siezed hand brakes but no TSBs. It's funny that the article mentions speedometer and odometer problems, I currently have both. Thanks for the help.:smile5:

·
Registered
659 Posts
This has been driving me crazy for over 2 weeks now (I know with someone like me "why drive when it's such a short walk") waiting for Zmasterflex to post back about his Brake Light issue after having had Recall 09S09 done.

Cuda, you are more than likely correct and I trust that you know that I mean absolutely no disrespect to you, which is why I haven't posted until now. BUT, it's that darn nagging voice of “experience” in the back of my head, that keeps me coming back to this post looking for an update. I want to get this out of my head, so I am just gonna throw caution to the wind and put it out there as a possibility to be considered.

The brake light has been on for a few years
Nothing he has done has made that Brake Light go out, and I am concerned that Recall 09S09 will not make it go out either.

I think that Zmasterflex’s Brake Light problem is with the vehicles FEM (Front Electronic Module). If I recall correctly, pretty much only 2 things cause the Brake Light to come on (apart from faulty switches, which I would presume he has checked) - Low Brake Fluid & the Parking Brake. If those are operating normally and both switches are as well, then what else could cause that light to come on and stay on for “a few years”?

The FEM. Or possibly even a wiring issue to the FEM for the aforementioned components.

Cuda, I would never think to question you or it being Recall 09S09 if it were any other vehicle other than the 2nd generation Windstar and the fact that the Brake Light has been on “for a few years” and the fact that I, myself, have seen it be an FEM first hand. The Instrument Cluster issues he is having (posted in his other thread) are new symptoms from what I understood him to mean and I can see where Recall 09S09 looks good for the cause/effect. And like I said, Cuda you are more than likely correct! I just needed to get it out of my head, so I could move on and obsess about something new and different…... :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi all,
i want to thank all of you for your input to this miserable problem that ford threw upon us.. i would like to share my story and let you know how i resolved this issue...
my abs light and red brake light have been on constantly about a year.
i read many forums and found out that the module board expands and contracts with heat... so i removed the module and opened it up and looked closely at the solder pins... as stated in the forum about the solder pins breaking, so had mine.. it didnt look obvious, but with a magnifying glass, one pin from the relay had a distinguishing different look to the solder... so i took a solder gun and reheated it and added more solder... i checked the entire board and found one other solder pin that looked unusual and resoldered it as well.. now for the good news.. resealed the cover and plugged it in.. started the van and WOW no abs or brake light..
this was done about a month ago and have had NO reoccurrence since...
thought i would share this info with everyone... i hope that others may benefit from what i found to be a solution.
good luck everyone and have a nice day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts