Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my brake warning light was on, not the ABS light, then it went off.

I have a 2000 Windstar.

Front brakes and rotors replaced about a year ago, rear brakes and drums about three years ago.

I did have some issues with my e-brake, sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't, one mechanic said it was stuck, not sure what that meant.

Last week the light came on, brakes felt fine, fluid was good. They went over everything, conclusion was the sensor was stuck, they said it wasn't dangerous just that the system was reading the fluid was low. So they got me a used master cylinder and I was heading there this morning to replace it, but just after I left the parking lot I noticed the light was off, so I didn't change it, putting it on hold.

I'm trying to figure out what happened to make it go off. I'm thinking it because I was "drying" the brakes. After it rains my brakes are a bit squeally, so I go a few feet, brake, I do this a few times, the last time I step on the brake I do it hard so I skid, and I think that's what did it, but I can't help but think if that is what did it then it's something other than a stuck sensor.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
You have touched on a number of things -

Master cylinder - do not install used brake parts, ever! Bad things can come of it. Plus acceptable new ones are cheap. $20 for a master cylinder seems like a low price to get a replacement. https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMAN-OUT-OF-BOX-10-2887-Brake-Master-Cylinder-For-1999-2003-Ford-Windstar/184316767824?fits=Year:2000|Model:Windstar&hash=item2aea22ae50:g:6AQAAOSw2Vpe2GgD

Any brake squeal or sounds when humidity changes is from the friction material or brake pads or shoes. Pads are up front shoes are in the rear. BTW you are in for some rain late this week so may have more brake squealing

The brake light - it may come on for multiple reasons. If low on fluid, add fluid. The fluid level will drop as the brakes wear. This is normal to a degree. If it is coming on because of the parking brake, you might test that. Apply the parkin brake and see if it is the same light. Then release the parking brake. It is possible the parking brake does not release fully at times. Frequent use of the parking brake may help. Because there are metal cables and linkages that if not used frequently can rust.

>>>>Action

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have touched on a number of things -

Master cylinder - do not install used brake parts, ever! Bad things can come of it. Plus acceptable new ones are cheap. $20 for a master cylinder seems like a low price to get a replacement. https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMAN-OUT-OF-BOX-10-2887-Brake-Master-Cylinder-For-1999-2003-Ford-Windstar/184316767824?fits=Year:2000|Model:Windstar&hash=item2aea22ae50:g:6AQAAOSw2Vpe2GgD

Any brake squeal or sounds when humidity changes is from the friction material or brake pads or shoes. Pads are up front shoes are in the rear. BTW you are in for some rain late this week so may have more brake squealing

The brake light - it may come on for multiple reasons. If low on fluid, add fluid. The fluid level will drop as the brakes wear. This is normal to a degree. If it is coming on because of the parking brake, you might test that. Apply the parkin brake and see if it is the same light. Then release the parking brake. It is possible the parking brake does not release fully at times. Frequent use of the parking brake may help. Because there are metal cables and linkages that if not used frequently can rust.

>>>>Action
Thank you.
The master cylinder: What I actually need is a new sensor, however that part can not be replaced so the both the reservoir and cylinder have to be replaced. I didn't think to go on ebay, the local auto stores were twice this, but the mechanic tries really hard to help me cause I'm poorer than dirt, so he got a used one, thinking more along remanufactured. It's this part.
https://www.ebay.com/p/2072243433?iid=163663214418&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=163663214418&targetid=915850928613&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9008853&poi=&campaignid=10455986539&mkgroupid=104612010460&rlsatarget=pla-915850928613&abcId=2146002&merchantid=101678376&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItcOZ_MjK6gIVmITICh0W0AcLEAQYBCABEgKbvPD_BwE

The brake squealing: I know, do it all the time when it rains, I only mentioned it because today the brake light went off when I did it, and it's the first time it has rained since the light went on. So I'm thinking hitting the brakes hard may have adjusted the pads, or something...

As for why it came on to begin with: I had mentioned that the mechanic went over everything already, and the result was the sensor was stuck. Could I have knocked the sensor loose hitting the brakes hard?

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
The difference between the two ($10 v $37) linked above is the white plastic reservoir.
I believe there is a low fluid sensor in the reservoir. It is a float to let you know the fluid is low. When it is on the edge of being full it can come one and go off.

If you look at this listing for just the reservoir you will see a black plug
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Master-Cylinder-Reservoir-Cardone-1R-2977-fits-99-03-Ford-Windstar/153937670351?epid=1411170790&hash=item23d76670cf:g:VFUAAOSwZZlbnPhm
That plug is for the low fluid sensor.

First you want to make sure the fluid is not low. If that is the case the repair is even cheaper. Just add fluid.

And it looks like the MC and the reservoir purchase individually are less $ than bought together. Does not always happen like that.

>>>>>>>>Action

1 - 6 of 6 Posts