Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I have an 87 Bronco that I have hated for the better part of 30 years. Had an 81 351 Carb C6 before it and STUPIDLY traded it in on the new "upgraded" Bronco. Bought it new, 302 with performance heads, EFI, AOD. Worked fine, until the warranty expired, then the EFI started having never ending sensor issues, never ran right, stalled at idle etc. Finally got sick of the problems ripped the EFI out and went back to a Holley 4bbl. Runs fine, though even with the Lokar adapter kit, the AOD still did not shift right, so it went and I now have a ZF5, 5 speed in it. I am MUCH happier. The tranny swap is what caused the electrical issues.

The AOD had a 5 pin neutral safety switch. The ZF5 has a 2 pin reverse light switch. Found those two wires and reverse lights work great. Found the two neutral lock out wires, bypassed them and it will start. The problem is the 5th wire, its function was when the vehicle was in Neutral and the key was put to the start position, it sends power to trip the starter solenoid. As it is now, I have to jump the solenoid as the start position of the key does not work. I can not find the original clutch lockout switch for an 87 so I can not rebuild that circuit the way it was meant to function. I have to figure out a way to rewire it so that the key switch again feeds power to the starter solenoid. If anyone has a bypass, or knows where I can locate an original clutch switch, I would appreciate the help.

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Parts sources might be Ebay, Rock Auto, a wrecking yard, craigslist.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. I have the clutch lockout wires bypassed right now so that switch will be dealt with later. My priority is finding a way to rewire whatever needs to be rewired so that when I turn the key, it will get power to the starter solenoid and start the truck without having to jump the solenoid. That is somehow the function of that 5th wire that went to the transmission switch.

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
I do not have your answer. And you are in the water of a custom application. So finding the person that has done a successful swap would be difficult.

In addition you are asking about the function of a switch for the AOD transmission. I have access to a neighbors E4OD in a 1990 E 150 however that is likely not the same. Econoline never had AOD. It was the first auto OD that Ford used mostly in car applications.

You want a map. And that will be a wiring diagram and/or shop manual.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-FORD-...h=item52158e54ac:g:zYwAAOSw5UFcGmqK:rk:1:pf:0

This will give you information that is always factual and in your control.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually have all of the factory manuals including the parts manual. I also have all of the wiring diagrams including the full sized electrical engineers diagrams. My problem is that I do not know how to read electrical schematics, so I have information that I do not know how to read or apply. Since the switch for the AOD is the same for all, I was hoping that someone would know what I was talking about. Guess I am going to have to find a class where I can learn to read the electrical diagrams.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts