Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at my bumper brackets on my 1965 Falcon Sedan , I noticed the bolts didn't go all the way through the frame member and had nuts on the inside of the channel I could see through a small hole. Are those welded inside or do they fall off inside when you remove the bumper bracket? Was thinking about pulling my bumper until I noticed that and wanted to ask first. Thanks.

Jim
Harriman, TN.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
If I remember right the clips and bolts are made together sliding over the frame rail.
Can you remove the bumper from the brackets and look closer from there?

·
Registered
84 Posts
More like six years...

The retaining nuts are welded into the inside face of the sub frame. Ford hadn't heard that rust had been invented by the time the Falcon was released to the public.

The through bolts for the bumper brackets should have tubes welded into the sub frame to prevent crushing the subframe walls when tightening the bolts.

There is room to convert the back bolthole to a through hole IF you have the anti crush tubes welded into the frame. As soon as you get to thinking that with the washers and flat face of the bumper braces there is little chance of crushing the frame walls the walls will in fact crush due to the fact that they to have suffered from rust over the years.

Have faith though, I've been running two bolts in my brackets for years and it works.

But the only safe way to remove the brackets (if they have never been off is to OIL, OIL, OIL!

In fact it may pay to drill a small hole in the top of the frame rail directly above the bolt in order to make certain the oil is in fact getting to the threads of the bolt/retainer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More like six years...

The retaining nuts are welded into the inside face of the sub frame. Ford hadn't heard that rust had been invented by the time the Falcon was released to the public.

The through bolts for the bumper brackets should have tubes welded into the sub frame to prevent crushing the subframe walls when tightening the bolts.

There is room to convert the back bolthole to a through hole IF you have the anti crush tubes welded into the frame. As soon as you get to thinking that with the washers and flat face of the bumper braces there is little chance of crushing the frame walls the walls will in fact crush due to the fact that they to have suffered from rust over the years.

Have faith though, I've been running two bolts in my brackets for years and it works.

But the only safe way to remove the brackets (if they have never been off is to OIL, OIL, OIL!

In fact it may pay to drill a small hole in the top of the frame rail directly above the bolt in order to make certain the oil is in fact getting to the threads of the bolt/retainer.

Thanks!!! That is what I thought. I don't have the through bolts or the anti cursh tubes. What little I can see through the small slit in the sub fram is that there is just a nut inside the channel on all 3 bolts. I appreciate the advise.

Jim
Harriman, TN.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wasn't aware that on the 65 all three bolts bolted inside the frame. On the earlier cars the one in the middle on the front end is through. Never noticed on my 64 if one bolt is through, didn't pay attention on the one 65 I have owned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, on a 62 Falcon, Does the front bumper deflector mount outside the lower headlight tab or inside the fender tab? Cant find my pictures before I took it apart. Looks like the large deflector tab would tuck in behind that lower hole before the bolt goes through. Trouble is, I already installed the fenders before I remembered the bumper stone deflector. Cant find any photos anywhere. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts