Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a Ford Crown Vic P71. There is one for sale in my neighborhood and has the full police package on it.

Two spot lights, push bar, skid plate, etc.

One question I have and haven't found much about it is are these safe to drive? I don't mean in terms of accidents but has anyone ever had problems with gang members or just "bad guys" harassing or threatening the driver thinking it's a real cop?

It's not exactly the best time to be an officer so just curious if anyone has had any issue?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a Ford Crown Vic P71. There is one for sale in my neighborhood and has the full police package on it.

Two spot lights, push bar, skid plate, etc.

One question I have and haven't found much about it is are these safe to drive? I don't mean in terms of accidents but has anyone ever had problems with gang members or just "bad guys" harassing or threatening the driver thinking it's a real cop?

It's not exactly the best time to be an officer so just curious if anyone has had any issue?

Thank you!
It all depends where you live
and how you drive.
I'd get rid of the police equipment that is visable and maybe paint it.
The way this world is don't invite trouble

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It all depends where you live
and how you drive.
I'd get rid of the police equipment that is visable and maybe paint it.
The way this world is don't invite trouble
Sounds good. I plan on painting it all grey but want to keep the police equipment in case I ever sell it down the road to a collector. Thanks for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
12,867 Posts
You may already know this and it is kind of a duh. These cars are built to a tougher standard, so some replacement parts (Brakes as an example) are more expensive and more difficult to find. And these cars in general have seen harer service. Many don't survive their initial service to be sold later. They simply wear out because of the service the see.

Replacing all fluids/filters as soon as you get it may serve you later

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may already know this and it is kind of a duh. These cars are built to a tougher standard, so some replacement parts (Brakes as an example) are more expensive and more difficult to find. And these cars in general have seen harer service. Many don't survive their initial service to be sold later. They simply wear out because of the service the see.

Replacing all fluids/filters as soon as you get it may serve you later

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Yeah I bought it for 1K. Took it to my Ford guy and he said it's all good. Everything pretty much works. AC needs a recharge. But that is it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read a post from a city garage mechanic regarding police interceptors. He commented on the new Chrysler's they switched over to. Said at 100K the Chryslers were shaking apart while the Fords were just getting "broke in". I'd remove the nerf bars and repaint. There are taxi drivers in NY that started with a retired P-71 and have over 300K on the meter!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts