Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep just happened to me.

I just replaced my passenger Power Window motor in my 1998 Windstar. I figured I better check it out before I finish the job..... New/reman part was DOA.

Well learned another lesson that I should have tested first and install second.

Well like I said new/reman parts can be junk right out of the box.

This Power Window motor was totally dead, didnt make a noise or move, at least my old motor made noise and moved but was very loud and clunky.

Moral of the story.... If you can test it first install it second.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
that's what happened with my transmission. Got one from TCI, has ZERO miles on it...

you live and learn...

·
Registered
684 Posts
So much for new parts always being good right out of the box, huh?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I still think i'm better off just getting a part off another vehicle. atleast then i have a better chance of it working...

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that can be a good idea but if you needed a window motor out of a Windstar and got mine you would be replacing it just as fast as I did with my new/reman one! I bought broken Junkyard parts too.

I still think i'm better off just getting a part off another vehicle. atleast then i have a better chance of it working...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
still should be cheaper than getting it new. around me you can buy mast parts in triplicate used for the price of a new one...

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To me time=money. The BS you got to do is worth paying the extra $$$ sometimes.

To install a new/reman window motor you got to remove the door skin, drill out 4 rivets, tape the window up, remove 5 bolts, finagle the part in and re-install everything you just took off. It ended up being a 2 hour job because of the bad part. Either way I would not want to do this again.

Yes some parts are a deal to buy used if they are easy parts to replace and are trustworthy items. I myself would buy a reman waterpump over one taken off a junkyard engine just to save a few bucks! I have nothing against used parts but difficult parts to replace can not be worth the money used sometimes if it is your main source of transportation.

The part I bought was a Lifetime warrantied Reman unit, a new unit was much more.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
you know... you can test the motor before you take it home right? just look for a battery, and bring some lead wires...

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep you can, however you can not test the torque of the motor nor how long it will last. It wasnt even an option for me to save $20 for this used part with a 30 day warranty!

Still some junkyards you can remove your own parts to save cash, nothing like wasting time removing a broken part.

What is done is done. I have a new/reman part in my car and I am not going to take it out and put a junkyard part in!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
oh well. you live and you learn...

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should of tested it first before I installed it. The problem is that it is a well trusted company the part is from, Cardone always made trusted parts..... Still I should have tested it!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
What is it with Ford electric motors?
This year I had to replace two of them, my starter in my 1990 Bronco, and my windshield wiper motor.

Last year I had to replace my electric door lock actuator.

Don't you think they should be able to make parts that will last more than twenty years? :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts