Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have roughly 3,950 miles on my Escape, and yesterday the "Change engine oil soon" message appeared. I had planned on doing the first oil/filter change at 5,000 miles but since the manual says to change the oil at 7,500 miles, isn't that message popping up kind of early?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Brand new car or just your first oil change on a used one?
New..... it may be correct. It doesn't hurt to change it early on the first one.
or
Used.......The oil filter reminder light must not have reset during your last oil change. Not sure if I completely trust them anyway, I just use the odometer reading and a little common sense.

I believe you can change the parameters for the light too, the instructions should be in your owners manual.

·
Registered
262 Posts
On my Buick Regal that change oil sensor is pretty accurate... Just before 3000 miles it starts telling you to change oil soon..

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have roughly 3,950 miles on my Escape, and yesterday the "Change engine oil soon" message appeared. I had planned on doing the first oil/filter change at 5,000 miles but since the manual says to change the oil at 7,500 miles, isn't that message popping up kind of early?
It's 7,500 mile or six months, whichever comes first. You can always change whatever percentage that you want.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The manual says the message Change Oil Soon displays when oil life is between 0 and 10 % and Oil Change Required displays at 0 . Like Bill says the standard life is 6 months or 7500 miles . Maybe the computer tracks months as well as miles . And as Bill says you can reset the percentage any time you like . No telling where it was set to began with .

·
Registered
532 Posts
On my Buick Regal that change oil sensor is pretty accurate... Just before 3000 miles it starts telling you to change oil soon..
I'm pretty sure it's not an oil change sensor , but just a mileage counter and perhaps a time counter .:smile5: I did have a Malibu that had an oil level sensor in the pan .

·
Registered
178 Posts
I continue to change mine a approx 3600 with full synthetic and I really think it makes a difference in the way the engine runs. The state guys that take care of our rigs told me to stick with the 3 to 4000 mile change to be on the safe side regardless of what Ford says. the ford mechanic stated something similar to me. I'm off base for this thread but just thought I'd pass the info on.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i still swear by the 3000 mile limit. i've done that with every car i've ever owned, and i tell you what, after a few hundred thousand miles when you take things apart just because you figure it is time for a quick refresher rebuild (like 400K in both the 68 coronet, AND the 89 Crown Vic). and you take the heads off just to find it looks like it was never broken in (cross-hatch pattern still in cylinder walls) and there was no reason to take it apart... just like in the vic i only bought FL-1A filters for it, just for fun i bought a case of FL1HP at $10 a filter, it makes an even bigger difference!

·
Registered
532 Posts
i still swear by the 3000 mile limit. i've done that with every car i've ever owned, and i tell you what, after a few hundred thousand miles when you take things apart just because you figure it is time for a quick refresher rebuild (like 400K in both the 68 coronet, AND the 89 Crown Vic). and you take the heads off just to find it looks like it was never broken in (cross-hatch pattern still in cylinder walls) and there was no reason to take it apart... just like in the vic i only bought FL-1A filters for it, just for fun i bought a case of FL1HP at $10 a filter, it makes an even bigger difference!
It makes a huge difference what kind of driving (city/hwy) you do most and whether you use synthetic or regular oil . I think changing oil before 5000 miles or 6 months even with regular oil is a waste , unless you do severe usage . I've had very few engine issues over the years and many times , although I don't advocate it put 7k or more miles on oil changes (regular oil) , and drove them several 100K miles . I do admit I rarely keep a vehicle past 200 k miles since I'm usually tired of it by then anyway and want something newer .

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i guess i'm just old school that way.
i grew up around muscle cars, and street machines. the ones where the owners built everything themselves, change the oil every 3K, wash their cars twice a week, wax them weekly, rotate tires every oil change... It's just a pride thing. Especially when you put tons of years, and even more money into them. I still stand by the "It's not really yours till you put your blood, sweat, and tears into it" mentality. you gotta take the intake off, even if it's just to go "huh, so THAT'S what it looks like in one of these..."

just my $0.02

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With these newer cars, I don't even know where to begin most of the time. When I was young, I had a 70 Nova with a 350, 4 barrel carb, 4 speed, and that thing was fairly easy to work on. No computers that regulated everything - it was pretty basic and if I couldn't figure it out, someone I knew would know.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
With these newer cars, I don't even know where to begin most of the time. When I was young, I had a 70 Nova with a 350, 4 barrel carb, 4 speed, and that thing was fairly easy to work on. No computers that regulated everything - it was pretty basic and if I couldn't figure it out, someone I knew would know.
i've been helping a friend with his 2dr '63 Chevy2 (nova), 400, 4 speed. it's slowly turning into a "ford" nova... lol

ok, enough thread hijacking for me. sorry

·
Registered
262 Posts
I continue to change mine a approx 3600 with full synthetic and I really think it makes a difference in the way the engine runs. The state guys that take care of our rigs told me to stick with the 3 to 4000 mile change to be on the safe side regardless of what Ford says. the ford mechanic stated something similar to me. I'm off base for this thread but just thought I'd pass the info on.
I would definitely stick with that philosophy..Or else your engine will look like this... Yes I've done the 3000 mile changes. I purchased this used. I had no control over the previous owners actions..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
ouch

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would definitely stick with that philosophy..Or else your engine will look like this... Yes I've done the 3000 mile changes. I purchased this used. I had no control over the previous owners actions..

You don't have to waste money and resources to keep your engine from looking like that . That engine has been seriously neglected / abused .
You don't seriously think changing your synthetic oil around 3K miles instead of 7500 makes your engine run better ? I have some gulf beach front property in Louisiana for sale .

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
synth, no. conventional, yes. if i were to use synth in my car, i would go closer to 5000, but the 6 month doesn't matter because i have to change it every month, sometimes twice (delivery driving)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
actually i can show you an engine where we changed it every 5000, synthetic, and ALL the bearings blew up, rod and main. I was the only owner, and it lasted 4 years, and only had 93,000 miles on it

·
Registered
532 Posts
synth, no. conventional, yes. if i were to use synth in my car, i would go closer to 5000, but the 6 month doesn't matter because i have to change it every month, sometimes twice (delivery driving)
That kind of driving makes a big difference . I know what you mean I used to do around 7000 to 8000 miles a month . Back then I used conventional oil and usually changed it around every 5000 miles sometimes up to 8000. I've never had any serious engine issues . But very little of my mileage was stop and go . The kind of driving you do makes a huge difference .

·
Registered
532 Posts
actually i can show you an engine where we changed it every 5000, synthetic, and ALL the bearings blew up, rod and main. I was the only owner, and it lasted 4 years, and only had 93,000 miles on it
That wasn't because of 5000 mile oil changes . Sometimes things go bad for less obvious causes , such as a manufacturing defect , defective filter , a grain of sand or dirt in the wrong place , abuse . Poor or defective casting , or machining .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts