Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Ford Fairmont 4 door 2.3
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get rid of the canister but never have deleted one before. I know it uses vacuum and gets sucked in to the manifold. Can I just hook a vac line to it from the Intake?, or just hollow out the vapor valve and just completely vent it all the time? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
The purpose of the charcoal canister is to store fuel vapor from the fuel tank as the vapor in the tank expands and vents from the tank. Instead of venting the vapor to the atmosphere, the canister stores the vapor to be burned in the engine under certain circumstances. That vapor gets drawn out of the canister in earlier versions via a larger hose to the air cleaner. Later versions had a vacuum line. And in versions from the 90s and later this function is controlled electronically. Most recent versions of engine controls have valves in the tank and the canister that electronically controls the vapor that is burned and is monitored in fuel ratio that is fed to the engine.

Not sure why you would want to remove the charcoal canister. Removing it and plugging the vacuum lines to the engine. The lines from the tank should be left open so the tank can be vented.

If the vehicle is of the latest version, the check engine light will be tripped because the function is electronically controlled and missing. In addition the PCM is assuming the vapor is being drawn into the engine and makes adjustments to air/fuel mixture. The engine may run lean at times because the canister is missing

Action

·
Registered
1979 Ford Fairmont 4 door 2.3
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I should have reworded my sentence. I meant plugged the vacuum lines and vent the valve since it opens under pressure. The canister is basically disengaged. Don’t mind smelling fuel.

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
I would plug the vacuum lines.
I would NOT plug any vent line from the fuel tank.
The tank needs to vent as pressure will build under certain circumstances. That pressure needs to go some where. Plugging the vent line does not allow the pressure to be released.

Action.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
If you do remove it you need to put some kid of filter on the line going to the tank to prevent dirt or moisture getting into the tank and you can hide this somewhere like in the finder. Another option is to get vented fuel cap.
I left my canister installed and hooked up. My canister is behind the fender and out of site. I also have a vented gas cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts