Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in the Valley of the Sun. (Phoenix) The sun and heat damage is exaggerated here, and it occurs everywhere the sun shines. Not only does that exposure do a number on paint and interior pieces, it also will damage plastic exterior plastic pieces, like lenses. Turn signals, stop lamps and other lamps that have a plastic lens.
There is a way to bring back some of the life to these pieces and other plastic, rubber and vinyl.

Attached are 4 pictures of the same lens. It is a right turn signal/parking lamp lens for all 1966 full sized Mercury models. The top two are before, and the bottom two are after conditioning the lens. The product I use is Meguiars Leather Conditioner. I rinsed the lens to remove the dust and dirt, then coated the lens on both sides. The inside I used a cotton tipped swab to rub in the conditioner.

Rectangle Gas Wood Font Plastic
Rectangle Gas Wood Font Composite material
Ruler Rectangle Wood Font Office ruler
Rectangle Font Transparency Paper Stain
Tire Wheel Human body Automotive tire Liquid

There is still a little over spray on the lens and there is a plastic cleaner I will use. However the conditioner does a rather awesome job. I used it on all interior and exterior pieces that are rubber, plastic or vinyl except tires and floor mats.

It does not clean much unless there is just surface dirt. However as a conditioner/preservative it is impressive. Seems to get into the surface and make the item hydrated if that makes sense. And it is cheap, as you can find it in any Walmart stores for under ten bucks.

Action

·
Registered
86 Posts
I live in the Valley of the Sun. (Phoenix) The sun and heat damage is exaggerated here, and it occurs everywhere the sun shines. Not only does that exposure do a number on paint and interior pieces, it also will damage plastic exterior plastic pieces, like lenses. Turn signals, stop lamps and other lamps that have a plastic lens.
There is a way to bring back some of the life to these pieces and other plastic, rubber and vinyl.

Attached are 4 pictures of the same lens. It is a right turn signal/parking lamp lens for all 1966 full sized Mercury models. The top two are before, and the bottom two are after conditioning the lens. The product I use is Meguiars Leather Conditioner. I rinsed the lens to remove the dust and dirt, then coated the lens on both sides. The inside I used a cotton tipped swab to rub in the conditioner.

View attachment 49417 View attachment 49418 View attachment 49419 View attachment 49420 View attachment 49421

There is still a little over spray on the lens and there is a plastic cleaner I will use. However the conditioner does a rather awesome job. I used it on all interior and exterior pieces that are rubber, plastic or vinyl except tires and floor mats.

It does not clean much unless there is just surface dirt. However as a conditioner/preservative it is impressive. Seems to get into the surface and make the item hydrated if that makes sense. And it is cheap, as you can find it in any Walmart stores for under ten bucks.

Action
DOES THE DUST GET ATTRACTED TO IT LIKE ON TIRE DRESSING I HAVE A DIRT DRIVEWAY AND ALL IT TAKES IS A WIND TO DUST UP MY CARS APPEARANCE

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dust is attracted to it some. Just not as much as tire dressing in my opinion.

I live in Phoenix. Phoenix is in the middle of the desert. From now to September/October we will have winds. Maybe some rain. The wind carries a lot of dust around here

Action

1 - 3 of 3 Posts