Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a few pics of the cleaning job I'm doing on my 98 Windstar 3.8.

It's definitely still not the cleanest engine. But I'm estimating I've got about 80% of all the dirt,carbon,sludge out of the engine. I wish I had before pics. But I couldn't find the camera.. But the lifter valley was pitch black with a mountain of carbon build up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not seeing the photos either. I checked my settings and viewing images is on. I'd love to see the work you've done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There we go! Looks good! So you are rebuilding the engine obviously. How many miles on it before it went? What caused the rebuild?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not really a rebuild. 150,000 I had to change the head gaskets story about that is on another post.. So seeing that I had the upper half of the engine apart. I figured I might as well do away with the mountain of carbon build up on the heads in the CC on the pistons & in the lifter valley.. You weren't able to read those casting numbers on that large rod before I started. A wire brush on the drill for the main portions of the carbon, A plastic brush for the pistons & CC. 1 gallon of diesel fuel as cleaner.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well, I figured it out....didn't know I was supposed to go to your picture albums to see them.

I see the ones posted in your post directly under my last one......
BTW: That link is broken, the pictures are fine just the link.
I get this message:
Invalid Album specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

I will let robdog know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I figured it out....didn't know I was supposed to go to your picture albums to see them.

I see the ones posted in your post directly under my last one......
BTW: That link is broken, the pictures are fine just the link.
I get this message:
Invalid Album specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

I will let robdog know.
No you weren't supposed to go to the album.. But I tried to post a link to it & it posted to the forum board.. I did the insert img when I did the original post. But some see the pics & some don't.. Never the less. The hardest part(s) of tearing this apart was getting the radiator out so I could have room to get the exhaust manifold off. Also that back exhaust manifold is a real (insert vulgarity here)...If I didn't have my extra long extentions I probably would have had to lower the front frame from the body to get to them..

BTW as I had the parts off already. I went ahead & cleaned up the Valve covers, PS pump/bracket & tension pulley/bracket also. So with all those parts cleaned up. I shouldn't be getting that dirty when these parts come in...

·
Registered
798 Posts
No you weren't supposed to go to the album.. But I tried to post a link to it & it posted to the forum board.. I did the insert img when I did the original post. But some see the pics & some don't.. Never the less. The hardest part(s) of tearing this apart was getting the radiator out so I could have room to get the exhaust manifold off. Also that back exhaust manifold is a real (insert vulgarity here)...If I didn't have my extra long extentions I probably would have had to lower the front frame from the body to get to them..

BTW as I had the parts off already. I went ahead & cleaned up the Valve covers, PS pump/bracket & tension pulley/bracket also. So with all those parts cleaned up. I shouldn't be getting that dirty when these parts come in...
That could be the problem, you were supposed to use the "Insert Link" button when posting an entire album.

I don not understand how anyone could have seen them, there is no link anywhere in your first post....MarkV said he saw them Hmmmm???
I digress, nice job cleaning it up. Do you have the oil pan off too, some of the crud must have made it down there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No haven't taken the oil pan off YET!!
But I am just as soon as I can get some containers to hold all the oil & antifreeze that I have laying around...

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Yeah I saw them the first time he posted them, I am on a Mac if that makes any difference but I wouldnt think so.

That could be the problem, you were supposed to use the "Insert Link" button when posting an entire album.

I don not understand how anyone could have seen them, there is no link anywhere in your first post....MarkV said he saw them Hmmmm???
I digress, nice job cleaning it up. Do you have the oil pan off too, some of the crud must have made it down there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gentlemen,
I think I have the solution to why some could see the pics & some couldn't...
As I go back & look to see who said they could see them & who couldn't.. There's one common denominator. Those who could were Mod's.. Those who couldn't were regular members. I had the album listed as public. But in the privacy settings in my profile were still set to friends only.. So I changed that last night & I think everything is ok.. Well I'll assume everything is fine until someone tells me different..

·
Registered
40 Posts
That worked for me! Now I can see both. Funny how one little thing can mess up the whole works!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts