Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pushed the pedal down, felt/heard a click, clutch would not engage fully(slipping) finally went to working properly, couple days later did it again. Pressed pedal, felt like something under the pedal, forced to the floor, working OK again....Has anyone had, or know what the problem is.
1996 Ford Ranger 3.0.. 5sp

Thanks...Bill

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
When you push the pedal down it disengages, when you release it the clutch engages.

First how many miles on your Ranger?

My guess is a bad clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder or both (always replace these in pairs).

If you have over 60,000 on the original clutch I recommend a new slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, new clutch, pressure plate and having the flywheel resurfaced.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This is a big problem on full sized ford trucks of the same vintage. Look under the dash for worn-out pivots or the pedal bracket itself may be cracked.

Reactions: Timmy

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll have to agree w/Cuda_jim . Sounds like a pedal pivot bushing,, or maybe the actuator rod that pushes the piston in the clutch master cylinder.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Did you check for the mounting surface of the firewall for cracks.
Sometimes the firewall needs reinforced do to separation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked for cracks,worn bushing, everything looks OK.Feels to me like release bearing is not sliding on the mainshaft properly. Cost of parts about $300, plus labor. I'm going to take it to a friend's shop and have him diagnose.

Thanks for the input. Bill

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay,having computer probs,
Got #1 Son to help bleed system, got a ton of gunky looking stuff out of the system, everything working as normal.I'm thinking it was trash in the slave cylinder. Been about a 2 weeks with no problems, been driving it as primary tranportation, it had not been driven very much lately. Went and purchased a vacuum bleeder so I can change out brake fluid by myself.

Bill

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been about two months now, been driving it on a regular basis with no problems. I still think it was gunk/sediment in the slave cylinder causing it to not engage properly.

Bill

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
The squealing noise is mostly likely the throwout bearing gone bad or the center of the clutch and or lining
worn out.
Follow the above posts to more info.
If I remember right there is a procedure on bleeding the clutch on U-Tube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a serious issue i will suggest you to check out whether pedal bracket has any kind of crack on it ..please fix it up as it can turn weird.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same intermittent clutch problem, same year. The pedal bracket is definitely lose at times I can juggle it around and get full clutch. If I drive over 60 it goes out. The weirdest thing I've ever dealt with. I can see the leveler rod does get tilted a bit and I've been looking for a new peel assembly. That is proving to be difficult to find. it was in a wreck and possibly fit the bracket bent somehow. Also the bushing that the spring is on is cracked. Could that make this happen? I'm all ears here and thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,251 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

You have posted in a almost ten year old thread. And some maybe all of the users no longer port here. So getting a reply from them may never come.

To your issue-
You state that you have the same year vehicle. I assume that to be a 1996. However there may be a difference between Ranger and full sized truck clutch systems. I believe one is mechanical and the other is hydraulic. Please state year and model for further assistance.

If the bracket is loose, tightening it up is going to help with alignment linkage alignment in a mechanical system. If the bracket keeps loosening up use lock nuts. I believe the bracket munts to studs in the vehicle and is secured by nuts.
Bushing replacement for the cracked one should be done as well.

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

You have posted in a almost ten year old thread. And some maybe all of the users no longer port here. So getting a reply from them may never come.

To your issue-
You state that you have the same year vehicle. I assume that to be a 1996. However there may be a difference between Ranger and full sized truck clutch systems. I believe one is mechanical and the other is hydraulic. Please state year and model for further assistance.

If the bracket is loose, tightening it up is going to help with alignment linkage alignment in a mechanical system. If the bracket keeps loosening up use lock nuts. I believe the bracket munts to studs in the vehicle and is secured by nuts.
Bushing replacement for the cracked one should be done as well.

Action
Thanks, finding my way around here now. I'll let you know how goes things with the pedal fix. I figured as much because you can see the leveler rod moving up and down. I think it's supposed to be steady level? Again thanks for the help. I had replaced the master cylinder once myself and it worked for a few days then out. Play with the pedal and intermittent then to the shop and they said master cylinder. Few days later and out again. Finally getting under my skin. Love this forum, thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts