Code P0303 ,oil i spark plug | Page 3 | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Code P0303 ,oil i spark plug

Discussion in 'Ford Expedition' started by scrambledlife, Sep 22, 2019.

1. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

smoker.JPG connecting the smoker line.JPG cap is smoking.JPG top  cap was smoking.JPG

I did purchase the vacuum gauge to use it later.I upload some picture showing the leak.I did hook up the smoker and it was the cap on the top of idle air control valve.I had one from years ago I replaced it and things are looking better.I will put more gas and a sea foam (if it is ok) ,driving it for a few days.I let you know If I can pass the test to get my tag.Thanks a billion for your helps and talk to you very soon.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2020
    Action likes this.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Good job!!!
    Well done.

Action
    scrambledlife likes this.
  3. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

I have learned so much from you,and I am very grateful and I really mean it.How about that smoker,lol.Thanks for looking after.
    Action likes this.
  4. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

#1.JPG I drove the truck for about 120 miles and all these time it showed cat and evap red x but no no stored code or pending code.Now it add the Pd DTC as you can see at the picture.There is no check engine light on so far.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2020
  5. Action

Just know that there are all kinds of issues happening in a electronic engine system that is not reported, f the standard is perfection.

I was chatting with a currently employed Ford tech last year. (I have been out of the field for decades) He stated that nearly every engine on the road today no matter what condition has at least one mis-fire event and usually multiple.

The software for the CEL is written so it has to be repeated. And different events have different significance. So the different events may only need to happen once to trigger the light and other multiple times over a specific time period. Most of the "time" is defined in RPMs not as time like you and I think.

One of the things I harp on are oxygen sensor replacement. Those sensors are the key feedback tool for the PCM to make adjustments. And those adjustments are made in less than a full revolution of a crankshaft. AND the only way a O2 sensor fails and trips the light is to stop working totally. The standard needed is signal speed in a 1/4 revolution. But if the sensor is old and tried and sends the signal in 1/2 or full revolutions, the data is old and the PCM makes adjustments based on old data. IF there is a code tripped from that data - the code will be based on lean or rich. (More likely lean because the system defaults to lean) So a tech goes and changes a lean code replacing acceptable parts.

Also in this electronic would most of the time less than 100% performance is the norm. Parts wear, carbon builds up and things generally get dirty. (More so when maintenance is not followed) That 100% is not required and the software is written to accept less than 100%.

As to your red X tester, that is a software thing built into that tester. You have to consult the tester marker to understand what is going on to get that red X. If all you are looking to do is turn off the red X on a vehicle that runs fairly well. I can think of a few things. But none have to do with the vehicle.

Action
  6. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

I forgot to mention after Pd dtc,the pending code P0455 has showing up.Speaking o2 sensor I have replaced 3 or 4 times in last 8 years (the passenger side in front).I want to solve the issue not to just get red of red x.I am waiting to see the engine light come on or not.By the way if the truck does not run smooth under 40,could it be o2 sensor?
    It probably (o2 sensor) is going down again.
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  7. Action

The maker of the tester has set the paramitters of what triggers the red x. Usually done with software.

The questions are ..
    What is it reading? (There are nearly a 100 inputs)
    What is the defined values to NOT get a read X?
    And what are your values such that it gets a red X?

The federal standard is the CEL.
    There are higher standards
    You just have to understand the company that made the tester as to what that standard may be.

>>>>>Action
  8. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

At the end what can I do to resolve this?
  9. Action

Read the data supplied by the manufacturer of the tester.
    The red x means nothing to me.

The screen says I/M readiness. TO me that means the items with the red x are not ready to be tested. But it could mean something else. The marker of the tester has the answers. Either in brochures, on their website or through a customer service phone call.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  10. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

Great,I can understand this one(the above ones were to educated for me).I should expect next surprise(which is alright).If the truck does not add the driven miles to mileage ,that could be the reason not to cycle and pending would be there?
  11. Action

Now I don;t understand.

Action
  12. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

When I am driving the truck for driving cycle,truck has to know how many miles has been driven or not?
    In order to finish the test and drop the pending code.Yesterday ,it did not add all that driving that I did,I was going ask later but now I thought I should mention it.
  13. Action

OK there are driving cycles and there testing events all for the engine controls.

All sensors and actuators are tested by the PCM on a basis that is set up by the software. Some on initial start up and others after the engine has heated up. Turn the key on and do not crank the engine. You may hear clicks and pops. This is the system testing it's self.

Then there is a driving cycle. This is defined not as mileage but as a set of events that need to occur. From what I know this is a cold start, may be a hot start, some idling, some high speed operation defined as over 45MPH and a certain amount of hot engine operation. Again software dictates what is necessary. If the system gets feedback of a fault that would generate a code and that feedback goes away, (intermittent) the system may not generate a code and wait for another cycle to see if it repeats. If that momentary fault repeats likely a code is generated. If that fault does not the event is stored in memory for a certain number of cycles.

The memory is rolling. Meaning the oldest date is purged and new data is added. Data rolls through history that the system can store. One it is old enough the data roll out of the history and is deleted. There is a faster way to purge data or history. Clears the codes with a machine or disconnect the battery for something like 15 to 30 minutes. And there is a reason to do that. A code is generated, a tech fixes the issue and confirms the fix. But the CEL will stay on until a certain number of cycles have been competed. After that point the system no longer has memory of that code and the CEL is turned off.

If there is a continous fault (some times called a hard fault) the CEL comes on right away and stays on until the continous fault is repaired and the system cycles out or the code is cleared.

>>>>>>Action
  14. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

I did not do the driving cycles right yesterday,I will do it next 2 days.I have to read this a few more times,thanks a lot.Well explained.
    Action likes this.
  15. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

I did a 20 minutes driving cycle ,it did not change anything but the truck is running much better.I remembered what you were saying (screen says I/M readiness) and I am a little bit slow finally git it.I passed the test and got the tag.Now I can go get my lumbers (50 miles) thanks to you.I let you know when it clears the evap x.Thank you
    Action likes this.
  16. Action

To add to the above in rolling memory....
    The system adapts to the driver. Or how the engine is operated. That adaptation is based on the memory of past operating cycles. Because engineers know that humans are creatures of habit and different humans have different habits. So engineering created adaptable software based on the past usage. What is normal operation for one driver may not necessarily be the same for another. So the system will enrich or lean out based on that history.

Clear the history (or clear the codes) and the operating strategy goes back to factory setting. Which is why when a part or some piece of the system has been replaced the engine may continue to improve as it is establishing a new normal. And that normal continues to change as parts wear (spark plugs to name an obvious part) so the system makes adjustments for the conditions as they change.

There are additional anomalies that I am aware of. (Some I am likely not aware of) My wife's car ran OK and the CEL was on just before it was time to do the emission test for registration renewal. The issue was something to do with the EVAP system that we don't really care about on a 22 year old car with 240,000 miles. It replaced the item and drove it over to the station to do the test. Test came back as not being able to do it. The guy said did you just have repairs. I said yes. He said come back tomorrow for a re-test. The system needs a little more operational history before a test can be done. If possible drive it on a highway at speeds greater than 45 mph for 10 to 20 minutes. Drove in the next day with nearly no more miles on the clock and it passed.

Action
  17. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

Thanks again.
  18. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

I did disconnect the cable (since I couldn't clear pending codes with scan tool),turn the switch with head light on...etc and I drove in highway over 55 for 20 minutes before I past the test.Was that any help,or not?
  19. Action

That was at least one cycle of a new normal.

Action
  20. scrambledlife

scrambledlife Member

This morning I went to buy some lumber and after 30 minutes driving,the evap and a few minutes later Pd dtc turn green.All it got left is the cat(Thanks to you).