Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, my 2012 Focus has about 215,000 miles on it. I drive 50 miles one way to work each day on rural Interstate. Two days ago, when I left work, I was going across town to my sons house and the heater air was very cool, not warm or hot. I should also say that I am in Nebraska, and January is less than tropical. I wrote it off as the car not running long enough in cold weather. I left my sons house after midnight to head home. After driving 5 or more miles, the heater was still blowing cold air. My temperature gage was running in the normal range the whole time. Finally, I turned the temperature dial back and forth between hot and cold a few times quickly. Then all of sudden, the hot air poured out and everything seemed fine. Today, the same thing happened again. I played with the controls over and over, and finally, the hot air came. And once again, the temperature gage was in the normal range. I don't think it's the thermostat, unless it is stuck open. Could I be low on coolant? I haven't checked that.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Do check the coolant level when engine is cold. A lower than normal level can be an issue as the heater core is many times the highest part of the system. Any air will go to the top.

When was the last time the cooling system was drained and refilled?

Action

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts
That isn't too bad.
3 years is when I change. However you drive more.
The owners manual should give age and mileage
I would do 3 years or that mileage specified.

Action

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hello,

It sounds like your electric blend door was just stuck and you moving the cold hot knob unstuck it. If it continues to happen and your engine temp gauge is normal, then you'll have to have the blend door servo replaced.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts