Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 focus se. I've been having a/c problems with leaking refrigerant. I took it to a shop the other day and they said they couldn't find a leak but after they filled it up they said it's only blowing out of the two passenger vents. The drivers side vents blow hard but only coolish air. Its the same for the defrost. One side is cold, not the other. Ideas? Is it something I can fix myself. I am semi mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Go to your local library and look for automotive service manuals. Look in the section for your make and model year regarding the vent system under your dash. There are "doors" that are controlled by vacuum motors that control the flow of air. You may have a vacuum motor that has failed, or is stuck, or a vacuum problem, e.g. vacuum line that came off or vacuum leak. You may also have a blockage in your vent system, but this is less likely (possible but less likely). Just some thoughts. As for the A/C leak look at all A/C connections, at the front of the A/C condenser (pinhole leak say from a stone hit), and/or behind the A/C clutch coil (compressor shaft seal), for black sooty, oily dirt. This is what the tell tale sign of a refrigerant leak looks like.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have a 2000 focus se. I've been having a/c problems with leaking refrigerant. I took it to a shop the other day and they said they couldn't find a leak but after they filled it up they said it's only blowing out of the two passenger vents. The drivers side vents blow hard but only coolish air. Its the same for the defrost. One side is cold, not the other. Ideas? Is it something I can fix myself. I am semi mechanically inclined.
If the AC stays cold on the passenger side there is no problem with a leak in the system....yet.
Your HVAC has no provisions to regulate the temp from passenger to driver. My guess is the duct work to the driver side is disconnected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts