Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Needing to replace the carpet in my 63 Ming green Fairlane. The old carpet Ive removed is a jade green color but the Ford BIG BOOK says my trim code 18 should have gold carpet.

Does anyone have pics of their Ming green Fairlane interior?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not looking for samples yet

I'm just looking to find out what others have in their Ming green 63 Fairlanes.
I found one example of 63 with green exterior, gold carpet. All others were green with green carpet.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
I have never heard of ming green. Mint green, forest green, sure.

And I found it
1963 Galaxie (U.S. Built) Identification (mercurystuff.com)
Well at least the exterior color called ming green. The interior will have a different name.

The exterior color code is a D
Also known as Medium Tourquise Metallic

What is the interior trim code?
It will be a two digit number.

Action

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yup exterior color code is D (Ming green).
The trim code is 18 (Medium Gold Square Puff Cloth and Medium and Light Gold Crush Vinyl)

Here is the carpet part number from the big book:
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

Im now getting the feeling that possibly the old Green carpet was a running change that Ford made from the Gold carpet during production and the parts book didn't get the proper updates.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
Thanks.
That attachment is too small for my old eyes. And I believe you.

As to a running change, may be. And this would have been a 4th gen Fairlane. That gen started in 1962, so 1963 is not a first year. The previous generations were full sized. But runing changes for body interior usually occurred because the company was not ready or a vendor was not ready.Many times the first year had issues like that. Can't speak to the vendor, but Ford was ready because there wasn't other body changes going on at he time. The company had most of their focus on up coming pony car to be released in spring of 64. And some mid-model year changes for Full sized Galaxie.

Back to what you are doing -
Not sure we are going to find anyone here that has a '63 D exterior color code Fairlane.
It could happen. But IMO it is a long shot.

And if there was an error in the Parts Catalog it won't be the first one. But I do not think this is an error.

Unless someone else posts, I think 18 is Gold Vinyl/Gold Crush vinyl and gold carpet. Yours got switched at some point.

Question - in the old carpet was there any card or paper stapled to a corner or edge?
Or have you found any build sheets?

Action

1 - 6 of 6 Posts