Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As good as Haynes manuals are, they still aren't infallible. I'm in the process of removing the gauge cluster to replace the light bulbs. The Haynes manual says, in short, to disconnect the gear (P-R-N-D-2-1) indicator cable from the column shifter and the steering column rather than simply removing the two screws that hold the gear indicator to the gauge cluster. I eventually took the sensible route, but not until after I tried to follow the prescribed route and broke the red plastic collar that wraps around the steering column and acts as the anchor point for housing of the aforementioned gear indicator cable. Per the directions, I was supposed to unscrew the screw which clamps this collar to the steering column, except that the collar snapped when I tried to do so because it's plastic and it was old and brittle.
At this point, I have a couple of questions.
First question: Is this piece available from any source? At least for the time being, I might like to replace the broken piece.
Second question: Did the fox-chassis Mustangs have gear indicators in the gauge cluster?
Question number two is relevant because I plan to install a fox Mustang gauge cluster due to the fact that I despise having to rely on idiot lights and would prefer to have the additional gauges. I had previously assumed that the Mustangs all had bucket seats and floor shifters, but am I mistaken?
On a relevant side note, what year Mustangs can I pull a gauge cluster from?
Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
890 Posts
move to floor shifter. jon did it in about 2 hours. the thing is, none of his shift indicators work in any vehicle, so we learned to go by ear. one click is R, 3 is drive, and so on

·
Banned
292 Posts
i have dash cluster from i think an 83 mustang (i have a 5spd). But, as far as i know 1979-1985 would work. As for yer collar, u could always check the 83-86 LTD along with the granada fox's....
And if you are in fact going with the floor shifter, find one from a mustang (79-86) or another ford..

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have broken.broke by itself several times. I just go to the junk yard and buy another whole PRNDL unit.
The Mustang cluster does not have one.
You can use any year Mustang cluster from 79 to 86. The wiring is different between 79-80 and 81-86 units.
You can download the instructions on how to wire them here on my web site.
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I was hoping that I'd be able to get a new replacement piece, I kind of figured that used was the only way I'd get one. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait on the changeover to floor shifter (I'm a little unemployed right now and don't really have the money... especially since I have a bench seat that needs to go away when I make the switch in order to make room for the floor shifter). Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
While I was hoping that I'd be able to get a new replacement piece, I kind of figured that used was the only way I'd get one. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait on the changeover to floor shifter (I'm a little unemployed right now and don't really have the money... especially since I have a bench seat that needs to go away when I make the switch in order to make room for the floor shifter). Thank you for your help.
if you don't have any near you, let me know. i can get a hold of a few. i might even have my old one around somewhere, just needs a new spring

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jonzo77-
Thanks for the offer. I think I'll just tape it up really well with some high-grade duct tape since I'm just going to go to bucket seats, a floor shifter, and a Mustang instrument cluster as soon as I can justify spending the money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts