Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these rear upper control arm bushings hard to change. I need to change them and have never done it before. Any special tricks or tools?
Thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
a big socket/pipe, hammer, and possibly a hack saw... the hardest part is unbolting them because they're probably rusted together. it would be easier if you take the driveshaft out too, but make sure you collect any trans fluid that comes out of the tailshaft...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I didn't bother trying to change the bushings, I changed control arms. MAC made set of uppers and lowers that were about $100.00. The lowers were rusted tight and it took a combimation of sawzall blades and circlular saw metal blades and smoking rubber deoderizer and cutting the bushing bolt the control arm and what ever was in the way to get it done. The uppers? 5 minutes a side. No rust at at on a Minnesota car. I could not beleive it. The MACs went in OK but the bolts got some anti seize when they were put in.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I didn't bother trying to change the bushings, I changed control arms. MAC made set of uppers and lowers that were about $100.00. The lowers were rusted tight and it took a combimation of sawzall blades and circlular saw metal blades and smoking rubber deoderizer and cutting the bushing bolt the control arm and what ever was in the way to get it done. The uppers? 5 minutes a side. No rust at at on a Minnesota car. I could not beleive it. The MACs went in OK but the bolts got some anti seize when they were put in.
i agree. it's really easy to get a hold of new arms with bushings installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MAC? Never heard of them? Is that a parts store?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
you can always look around for others too. i got mine from lakewood. forgot how much though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts