Coolant In ATF | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Coolant In ATF

Discussion in 'Ford Escape' started by Johns Escape, May 31, 2020.

1. Johns Escape

Johns Escape New Member

Greetings All;
    I just replaced the radiator on my '06 escape.
    There are two small hoses ~1/4" coming out of the bottom of the drivers side tank.
    One is transmission fluid and the other is water.
    Guess who mixed up those 2 hoses!
    I caught it within seconds after it was started, as the atf came right up in the coolant reservoir.
    Drained the ATF 3 times before it was even put into gear.
    Fluid looked good.
    Drove it 40-50 miles & it didn't miss a beat.
    No slipping, No jerking, perfect shifts.
    I'm almost back rolling at 60mph and it was like I shifted into neutral.
    It will not even try to move.
    Surely it's not toast?
    Thanks
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

You will want to remove the pan, drain the fluid and post back the color of the fluid. If this transmission has a replaceable filter (some do not) do replace it.

How many miles on the vehicle?

>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Johns Escape

Johns Escape New Member

Thanks for the reply/idea.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough, but I did that 3 times before it was even shifted out of park,
    Then I ran it about 4o miles on a hot day in city & highway without any any slipping and perfect shifts when it just fell out of gear at 60 mph.

It wouldn't even try to "pull" at all in any gear then, even after it cooled.
    I drained & refilled it a fourth time after getting it towed home,
    & still, nothing. Doesn't even try to move.

The pan is on the "front side" & I hear it's claimed to have a "permanent" screen. There is a drain plug, and I got about 4 quarts each time. The fluid may be slightly pink, but no foam. Not even when I checked it on the side of the freeway when it first stopped with the engine still running.

Seems like something it not allowing the fluid to move to the right places when it's shifted into gear, like the shift linkage I don't think it is because it feels right & the shifter didn't move when it just quietly and as smoothly as it I had just bumped it from drive to neutral "fell" out of gear while rolling down the freeway at 60. Just like a switch had been thrown.
    Is there a fuse?

I checked 8 & 11 under the hood and 5 & 6 inside. From their discription they are not all or nothing for the transmission only.

I didn't try to swap the r2 relay because it seemed pretty stuck in there & I didn't want to make things worse, considering that one is said to control a lot more than the trans that are still working on my car, like coils, etc.

It's got to be a solenoid or a plugged/stuck valve body?
    Right?

I had been leaning toward OBPF-ing it,
    you know, the ol' Onboard Power Flush thing, but after 4 partial flushes I may have missed that window.

Where can I find a diagnostic procedure for the solenoids?
    Or do they always show on a scanner.
    The only code I have is High pressure in my fuel rail, and that was there before this effort in stupidity.

Auto trans is not my longer suit, but to fail to the point of not moving at all whatsoever, something has to burn, right? like clutch packs? or bands? I've heard of band breaking, but wouldn't there have been at least some noise?

There has to be just a few things in a particular order that would occur given the parameters I changed. Some sort of flow chart?

Thanks again for your thoughts. It's amazing how quick you can feel alone when you break your wheels.
  4. Action

Pink fluid means air or water.
    Does the fluid smell burned?

Forward does not engage, does reverse engage?

2006 Ford Escape -
    How many miles?
    What engine?
    all wheel drive or rear wheel drive?
    Hybrid or non-hybrid?

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. Action

While you are answer the above so I can get a general feel of the vehicle.

Know that auto transmission operation is usually NOT electric to move forward or reverse. Generally it is mechanical or hydraulic based on a clutch engagement.

Electrics or electronic involvement is generally for shift control (still a hydraulic event controlled electronically) or for torque converter lock up. No operation at all of a sudden is likely a hydraulic cause.

>>>Action
  6. Action

7. Johns Escape

Johns Escape New Member

Thanks again.

Fluid doesn't smell burnt at all, & I know that smell.

It's the V-6, 4wd. That would make the transmission a CD4E?
    It's got just over 150,000 miles, and has been flawless for about 2 years, when the plastic nipple on the radiator tank leading to the coolant reservoir cracked & started to leak, leading to this fiasco.

I caught the leak right away & it never got hot.

It's not a hybrid.
  8. Johns Escape

Johns Escape New Member

I was referring to the shifting action in the valve body that makes the hydrolic fluid do it's thing to the wheels when I mentioned the manual shifter/cable, the shift solenoids, & pistons/springs/valves that may be sticking in the valve body.

Seems to me it's just not shifting into gear, even reverse, not that the gears are broken.

Thanks for the link.
    I'm really grateful for your help, & I'm going to check it out as soon as I click post.
    If there wasn't for potential of the symptom to be important in this diagnosis, I wouldn't even mention this, but as you are adding up all the variables as you solve this problem, it's never had anything close to a harsh shift.
    No doubt it has the no engagement part and I'm clicking to it now.
    Thanks again.
    Action likes this.
  9. Johns Escape

Johns Escape New Member

Yeah!
    That's what I was (at least trying to) talking about!

From the link. . .

. . ."or the transmission may refuse to shift gears altogether. This condition is usually caused by a broken solenoid, which is a little plunger-like device that directs fluid flow inside the valve body to change gears. To eliminate this problem, every remanufactured Ford Escape transmission gets new CD4E solenoids which are tested before they’re installed."

From what I've been able to tell, there are several solenoids and CD4E is the model of the trans...

Still, much further than I was!
    Thanks, Action.
    That's a nice list of old fords you got there.
    I had a '66 mustang and a '73 T-bird during & after high school.

Any idea where I could get a look at a service manual for that trans?
  10. Action

I believe you are correct a CD4E

You can get it in a CD format
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Ford-Escape-Mercury-Mariner-Gas-and-Hybrid-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-CD/142720551136?fits=Year:2006|Model:Escape|Make:Ford&epid=28016508181&hash=item213acec8e0:g:xhcAAOSwlANeldyx

Or paper format
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Ford-...904152?hash=item56d605fd18:g:kxIAAOSw1QpaAwIk

The wiring diagram may be important to you
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-FORD-...829744?hash=item2f2f1c0a70:g:Px4AAOSwclxcs4df

Typically this is the first purchase I make after buying a used vehicle.
    I have a '06 Navigator. Paid close to $100 for complete set of shop manuals. Not just the items shown above.

Action