Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the Holley 1940 single barrel is the original carb that came with my 1963 Ranchero?

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
The original carb from Ford was a Ford design.
It was a Autolite 1100

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Action. Guess I have something that was added on later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Action. Guess I have something that was added on later. This Ranchero has an automatic transmission and the carb has no dashpot, which I was under the impression goes with the automatic. Is that going to affect acceleration or deceleration? It also needs at least a new kit put in. Keep it and overhaul it or get an 1100? I just got this car a month ago and have just driven it up and down the driveway a few times. It runs steady and smooth but I can’t take it up to speed until I address brake issues.

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
Not all carbs with automatics had a dash pot.

The purpose of a dash pot is to slow the closing of the carb throttle plate from slamming shut. When that happens sometimes the engine stalls. To prevent that a dash pot is installed.

Good luck getting her on the road.

Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know not all have dashpots. Probably nothing is missing off that carb. It looks like it’s been running that way for a long time. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a little off topic, so don't hesitate to ignore this post. I put a Weber model K-380, often referred to as a 38/38, onto my 1960 Ranchero and am quite pleased with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another good link that goes into a lot of detail re the inline sixes is www.fordsix.com...and then click onto tech archive...
The Holley 1940 was an aftermarket carb replacement that Ford used after the Autolite 1100
Some have the SCV....and some don't !!
The above link explains the importance of matching the Loadomatic distributor with a SCV carby...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts