Ford Automobiles banner

Correct scan tool to turn on cruise control?

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Action 
#1 ·
Correct scan tool to turn on cruise control?

I am installing cruise control in my 2006 Ford E350 very basic work van. It takes a steering wheel and clock spring. Also there can not be any abs lites on. From what I understand is that my vehicle’s computer has to have the cruise control feature turned on. Is this a dealership scan tool only thing or what level of scan tool can do this?

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the FFO.

I may not have the answer and I have a question first.
Is the speed control system you are adding a stock system or an aftermarket system?
I am assuming the transmission is an automatic.

Action

#5 ·
I am looking for a wiring diagram for the Speed Control system and not yet finding it.

The pieces you have listed above will control the Speed Control system. However something has to open and close the throttle body and that is usually a servo of some type. The PCM could send a signal to a servo or some other device and you would need that and the related linkage as well.

The exception would be an electronic throttle body. (Fly by wire) I do not believe electronic throttle bodies were used in E Series.

Action

#8 ·
I am looking for a wiring diagram for the Speed Control system and not yet finding it.

The pieces you have listed above will control the Speed Control system. However something has to open and close the throttle body and that is usually a servo of some type. The PCM could send a signal to a servo or some other device and you would need that and the related linkage as well.

The exception would be an electronic throttle body. (Fly by wire) I do not believe electronic throttle bodies were used in E Series.

Action
In a YouTube video it was mentioned it is indeed a flyby wire system. The trick is getting the speed control feature turned on and do I need a dealership level scan tool to enable it.

#7 ·
Wow if the price listed above for the a brand new steering wheel is correct that is a good price. I would have guessed far more expensive.

Still think you are going to need additional pieces. Until I find a diagram won't know that for sure.
Not sure the PCM will need anything as it will recognise the new pieces. I may be wrong on that.

Action

#9 ·
What engine is in your 2006 E350?

Action

#10 ·
I have a 2006 5.4l in a different body style. Pretty sure it is not fly by wire. If it is, there would be a wrench warning light that is tested each time the engine is started. I have never seen that light on my ride.

Assuming you do have that feature and the PCM needs to be accessed and changed.
That is a software thing. If you have software on say a laptop or other device, you can access the PCM and make certain programing changes. Many "tuners" do this for other reasons. Going to a Ford dealership would be one way to access the PCM and making changes. Buying software and plugging into the OBDII port would be another way with the correct software.

Know that I have never done this and I am aware of accessing to the PCM programing is not exclusive to a Ford Dealership. They may have equipment that does it faster than you can buy. And the software may cost more than hiring the dealership to do it. I assume since you have viewed youtube vids you have looks at software vendors like ....
7 Best OBD2 Software in 2022 and Beyond: Reviewed and Tested (totalcardiagnostics.com)

Action

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.