Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

I have a 2006 Escape XLT v6, it isn't 4WD. It has about 84,000 miles. I have been hearing a creaking noise, and it sounds like it's from the front end. It happens most when I first start driving after it has sat all night. It happens when I turn, and sometimes when I brake. It is quite loud. Any ideas?

·
Registered
798 Posts
It may be the cv shaft, ball joints or many other important steering/suspension parts. If you are mechanically inclined have someone turn the steering while looking at the underside to pinpoint the source of the squeak or have it inspected by a pro.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Check your ball joints & tie rod ends. Apply emergency brake. Jack up car as so wheels are off the ground. Support vehicle with jack stands. Grasp front & back of tire & try to move wheel side to side. If no play & wheel is firm. Tie rod is ok. if little movement tie rod ends are showing wear.(Check inner & outer tie rod ends for play) If a lot of movement tie rod end(s)must be replaced. Now grasp the top & bottom of tire & perform same maneuver as you did to check tie rod ends for play. But this time use an up & down motion. Again if no play ball joint is fine. If little play ball joint is showing wear. If play is severe. Ball joints need replacement. You will also have to check front struts. If these are the original struts then you can pretty much bank on the fact they need replacement. As someone already pointed out. It could also be your front half shafts.. A bit of a project to replace. But with just a little common sense. They can be done for a fraction of the price a garage will charge you.. Or the easier way is find a place that offers free inspections & have t hem check it out for you.. You get to know whats wrong & no cost..

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The majority of noises comes from the stabilizer links.The joints get dry and squeek.The easiest way to tell is disconnect one end of the link and drive it.If the noise goes away,buy a new set with grease fittings on the joints made by Moog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It ended up being the stabilizer links, and also the steering was leaking fluid.
$800 bucks later, I will be good to go! Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts