Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The light on the dash doesn't even light up. The horn works, the brake lights work, so do the headlights. I unplugged the cruise module and plugged it back in. I am out of ideas. Please help! I drive on the interstate and getting a cramp in my leg.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
are they electronic? i only know about Vacuum systems...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
holy crap! i forgot about you wizzard, glad to see you over here.

...don't forget to look at the top of the page to see all recalls that pertain to your vehicle. even if it's an older one, you never know if the previous owner had them fixed

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is electronic.

I looked for the recall thread but the one I found seems to not apply to my taurus.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Does the horn work and is the airbag lamp on ?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
maybe it's a fuse? like i siad before, i'm more of the old school vac systems...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Does the horn work and is the airbag lamp on ?
Like I said above, the horn works. The lamp lights work fine. No check engine lights. The cruise simply does not turn on. I can hit "ON" all day on the wheel but the cruise light does not turn on.

·
Registered
798 Posts
You need to replace the sensor on the end of the master cylinder even if your vehicle is not listed for the recall. It can cause fires.
Ford has added a lot of vehicles to the list. Try entering your VIN here:
Recall Information - Ford

You can use a jumper in the wire harness going to the sensor to test the rest of the CC system. Do not leave it there or you WILL have a fire.

Diagrams of the CC system:

Attachments

• 21.4 KB Views: 1,129
  • 22 KB Views: 690

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to replace the sensor on the end of the master cylinder even if your vehicle is not listed for the recall. It can cause fires.
Ford has added a lot of vehicles to the list. Try entering your VIN here:
Recall Information - Ford

You can use a jumper in the wire harness going to the sensor to test the rest of the CC system. Do not leave it there or you WILL have a fire.

Diagrams of the CC system:

I called the local Ford dealer and talked to their service dept. I read off my VIN and the guy told me there are no recalls for my vehicle.

Do you think that the sensor is the cause of the cruise not working? How much is a replacement sensor and how do I install it?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Check the fuse. That was the problem in our Windstar when the cruise stopped working.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Which fuse? In the passenger compartment or under the hood?
Ours was under the dash, I believe #38, but check your manual, it very easily could be different between the Windy and Taurus.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I called the local Ford dealer and talked to their service dept. I read off my VIN and the guy told me there are no recalls for my vehicle.

Do you think that the sensor is the cause of the cruise not working? How much is a replacement sensor and how do I install it?
That sensor WILL cause the CC to stop working. It's a redundant brake switch in case the switch under the dash quits working.

Did you even look at what I posted above?
Try jumping the sensor before you throw parts at it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ours was under the dash, I believe #38, but check your manual, it very easily could be different between the Windy and Taurus.
Which manual? I looked in the Chilton guide under cruise and it refused to tell me anything, instead saying I needed to go to a mechanic. I am having a tough time finding info.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Which manual? I looked in the Chilton guide under cruise and it refused to tell me anything, instead saying I needed to go to a mechanic. I am having a tough time finding info.
The owner's manual for the car. It should list all your fuses\relays and their location.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The owner's manual for the car. It should list all your fuses\relays and their location.
I have a PDF of the manual. This is what it shows me for passenger compartment fuses. I am unsure which is the cruise fuse. Can you help?

Fuse/Relay Location
1 Not Used
2 Instrument Illumination
3 Left Low Beam Headlamp
4 Right Low Beam Headlamp
5 Instrument Cluster, Shift Lock Actuator, Rear Defrost
6 TR Sensor, Reverse Lamps, DRL, A/C Controls
7 TR Sensor, Starter Relay
8 Power Antenna, RCU, GEM
9 ABS
10 PCM Relay, Ignition Coil, PATS, Radio
11 Instrument Cluster
12 Instrument Cluster, Autolamps, Transmission Control Switch, ICP, GEM
13 Electronic Crash Unit (ECU), Blower Motor, EATC
14 Semi-Active Ride Control Module
15 Multifunction Switch (Turn Signal)
16 Not Used
17 Front Wiper/Washer
18 Headlamp Switch
19 Rear Wiper/Washer
20 ICP, RAP, Phone, GEM
21 Cigar Lighter
22 Power Mirrors, Power Antenna, Luggage Compartment Lamp, Autolamp
23 GEM, RAP, PATS
24 ICP, RCC, Speedometer
25 Data Link Connector (DLC)
26 Luggage Compartment
27 Battery Saver Relay
28 Speed Control, Brake Lamp
29 Multifunction Switch, (Hazard)
30 High Beams, Daytime Running Lamps, Instrument Cluster
31 Not Used
32 ICP, Heated Mirrors
33 Power Windows, Lock Illumination
34 Battery Saver Relay
35 Driver Door Unlock Relay
36 Rear Defroster Relay
37 Interior Lamp Relay
38 One Touch Window Down Relay
39 Accessory Delay Relay

·
Registered
906 Posts
Going by that it's fuse 28, however, you said your brake lights are working, since those are tied into that fuse I would suspect the problem is elsewhere.

Although, I would go ahead and replace the fuse. Our Windstar did something weird, on it the Cruise\ABS are on one fuse, cruise went out well before the Brake\ABS light came on indicating an issue there. I checked that fuse when the cruise started having problems it was fine, it wasn't until the brake\ABS light came on that the fuse completely blew.

If you replace the fuse and that doesn't help, look into Cuda_Jim's suggestion from above.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts