Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 65 Galaxie on the lift to get a good look at trans and wanted to change out speedo gear to correct incorrect speed readings. I removed the screw and loosened bracket but the cable didn't want to budge. With just finger/hand strength I tried to loosen, but I didn't want to chance damaging or breaking the cable. Looks like the mechanic sealed with rtv sealer. Before I try and plier this thing out, it should pull straight out or twist out? Is there a danger in breaking something? Not really sure. Any advice...and the metal end of the cable..I assume on other side once removed is where the plastic gear goes? Also---assuming any idea how to decade the trans tag and verify which version of trans this is?
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fixture
Water Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey
Automotive tire Line Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
The speedo cable end is a "slip fit" into the case. There should be an O ring on larger diameter.
The attached pic is of a cable for a Mustang and the end for yours is the same.

If you can turn or rotate the cable end that can help.
And destruction is possible.
Replacement cables, at least universal length ones are available.
Not sure what the PO did with all of the sealer. And a replacement O ring should have done the sealing.

Action
Line Cable Wire Auto part Electric blue

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Transmission ID
That tag is not a factory tag. Looks like that tag is an Authorized Ford Rebuilder tag.
OR it is a factory tag for a much older Cruise O Matic or Ford O Matic (Pre 1961)
For 1965 the metal tag would be rectangle with rounded corners and bolted to a cover on one end of the tag. Many are missing at this point.
This should be a 3 piece transmission case. Aluminum bell housing, Aluminum tail piece
Cast Iron center section

ID questions:
How many bolts for the pan?
How long from front to rear is the cast iron section?

Action

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The speedo cable end is a "slip fit" into the case. There should be an O ring on larger diameter.
The attached pic is of a cable for a Mustang and the end for yours is the same.

If you can turn or rotate the cable end that can help.
And destruction is possible.
Replacement cables, at least universal length ones are available.
Not sure what the PO did with all of the sealer. And a replacement O ring should have done the sealing.

Action
View attachment 51065
I think it was a mechanic I used 3 years ago when got it. He was RTV crazy to fix leaks. I am guessing I need to try and cut away as much of the rtv as possible. Would it be safe to put pliers on metal shaft that is sticking out? This is a canada car so not sure if that matters. Not on lift anymore so I will have to measure next time up there. I did have a photo with this stamp on it.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Water Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
The stamp is a date stamp when the casting was made.

Yes clean out as much of that sealer as possible. And spray in some brake cleaner as well.

You can use pliers on the metal end.

US or Canadian will not change the procedure. The cable may be different length if right hand drive.

Action

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it was a mechanic I used 3 years ago when got it. He was RTV crazy to fix leaks. I am guessing I need to try and cut away as much of the rtv as possible. Would it be safe to put pliers on metal shaft that is sticking out? This is a canada car so not sure if that matters. Not on lift anymore so I will have to measure next time up there. I did have a photo with this stamp on it.
View attachment 51066
So looks like casting was Nov 1964?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I got the 65 Galaxie on the lift to get a good look at trans and wanted to change out speedo gear to correct incorrect speed readings. I removed the screw and loosened bracket but the cable didn't want to budge. With just finger/hand strength I tried to loosen, but I didn't want to chance damaging or breaking the cable. Looks like the mechanic sealed with rtv sealer. Before I try and plier this thing out, it should pull straight out or twist out? Is there a danger in breaking something? Not really sure. Any advice...and the metal end of the cable..I assume on other side once removed is where the plastic gear goes? Also---assuming any idea how to decade the trans tag and verify which version of trans this is? View attachment 51061 View attachment 51062 View attachment 51063 View attachment 51064
From the little bump out on the pan, it looks like an MX transmission. Ford usually stuffed the MX behind the 390 and used the FX with 352 and smaller engines in the full size models.

The FX and MX look very identical at first glance. The MX uses the same size yoke as the C6 and the FX uses a little thing. Both transmissions have the fill tube screw into the pan. The later FMX has the fill tube enter the side of the case.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can pull on the cable but if you note the end with the O-ring that was posted, the piece that comes out is larger (nickel size) and not just the cable itself. The plastic gear on the end of the cable you're removing comes with varying numbers of "teeth". More teeth will lower the reading if your speedo reads too high. Less teeth will cause the speedo to read higher in case it's too low. On many vehicles of this era, a tooth makes a difference of about 4 mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts