Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im looking into buying this 05 CVPI up for sale for 3500. I have a few of questions for owners of any type of Crown Vic. I have my heart set on it pretty much so it would be nice to some info on a Crown Vic.
1. How much do you spend in fuel a month?
2. How hard or easy are they to maintain?
3. How much so you spend on it throughout a year?
4. Would you recommend it?
5. Do you like it?

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I can't answer your questions
A lot of factors involved.
I personally think they should have kept building them
You may try searching the web for the info you need or someone here may chime in soon

·
Super Moderator
12,893 Posts
What year????

The dollar questions will be difficult to answer as that is an individual decision on quality of maintenance and how it is operated. How much fuel depends on how far driven. How much maintenance depends on how well maintained prior to his point. Depending on year the CV should be easy to maintain because the car remained in production for so long.

If you expect to maintain to PI standards it will be expensive, silicone hoses and special clamps are examples of more $. PI are usually well maintained however are used in an extreme manner, so your example may need lots or little work.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 97 CVPI originally used by US Marshall Services. I purchased the car from auction in 2008 for $2500 USD. One of the first things I chose to do was rebuild the front suspension. Every ball joint was replaced, tie rod ends, and bushing were replaced with urethane (Energy Suspension). The rear control arm bushings were given the same treatment. The rear end was drained and fresh oil added. The transmission was serviced with a new filter and fluid. A leaky radiator was replaced as well as the hoses, and a new ac compressor plus the recharge. To my original cost, I purchased about $3000 USD in parts and did the labor myself.

I drive my car hard and fast, so every 3000 to 4000 miles the engine oil and filter (Motorcraft only) get replaced. The rear end and transmission get serviced once a year. The coolant is tested and replaced if needed (second replacement of coolant this year). Parts are more expensive for a P71, but are made to last longer.

The average monthly costs to me are about what you expect from any vehicle; GAS. And mileage varies to how fast your foot hits the floor. At 65 MPH on the interstates, I average about 22 mpg with cruise control on.

The CVPI are large cars, and the 4.6L engine is a little sluggish for the weight. The car needs about 100 HP more and 100 ft lb of torque more. That's is one reason lots of guys are installing either 4-valves or the 5.4L engines in them. And some have gone to superchargers. But all in all, it is a comfortable car you can spend hours sitting in and driving.

If I had my druthers, I would have purchased a Fusion or a Taurus with the V6 (mostly for the fuel mileage and weight). I had assumed that the CVPI had a higher compression/more powerful engine than the regular cars. It doesn't. It has a better handling suspension that is beefier for some off-road excursions. It has a beefier cooling system and oiling system.

Would I recommend it? If you have a family that needs a big car, YES. If you and the bros go driving and chillin' on weekends, YES. As basic transportation, NO. There are smaller 5 person cars that fit the bill. And that's MY opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts