Dash light reset | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Dash light reset

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger' started by Rick165, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Rick165

Rick165 New Member

My check engine warning light came on and I had it check with the analyzer at Advance Auto Parts. The fault was an engine temperature fault and the guy recommended replacing the cooling system thermostat, which I will be doing today. My question is, will that dash light go away on its own after the coolant sensor starts seeing proper water temps or will I need to manually reset it somehow?
  2. redrag

redrag Well-Known Member Respected Member

it will go out eventually. has to run some self tests involving certain conditions
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

There are 3 ways to turn off the light. Let it run through a number of running cycles is one way.

Disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes is another. The down side is any other memory functions will be lost. Station resets for the radio and ??? In addition the engine controls all relearn your driving efforts.

Or have the codes cleared with a reader. Like taking it back to the auto parts store.
    If finally repaired, the light goes out right away and there is no loss of memory functions for the vehicle.

We do live in a complicated world.

>>>>>>Action
  4. Rick165

Rick165 New Member

Thanks Action!

I ended up disconnecting the battery terminals to clean them and that did the trick.

Rick
    Action likes this.
  5. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Thanks so much for posting back.

>>>>>Action