Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my car has been modified in the past I was wondering how I figure out how the car is equipped.

I assume the engine is a 200. How do I find out for sure? How do I determine the date of the engine?

Do I have a C3 or C4? How do I tell the difference?

What size is the rear axle? 7.5 or 6.75? How do I tell the difference?

If I do the V8 conversion will either of these axles be sufficient? I know the V8 Fairmonts had the 7.5 but they didn't produce lots of power.

·
Registered
89 Posts
on the driver side door (on the end or in the door jamb area) should be a sticker with all of this info. that is, if you can still read it. post up the codes you find on it and someone here can decipher them for you. also, there should be an emissions label on the underside of your hood with other important info. if your engine is an inline 6-cyl., its the 200. that was the only 6-cyl. option that year. if you have the 7.5 axle, it should be sufficient, but most guys opt for an 8.8 out of any fox car (usually a mustang). better safe than sorry. you can even bolt on a '93 or '94 so you can have disc brakes. i think those are a tad bit wider though.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The C3 has a high mount starter and the C4 is low mount. Or is it the other way around, I can never remember.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
the 7.5 can handle up to 450lb/ft of torque without any problems. if you have the inline six crossmember, the engine will sit a little lower, but will be fine. stymee, and i have done it, and i wish my swap was still around, but some dick had to delete it, and tons of other info...

pics of the items in question would be nice. if you want to know the trans, take a picture f the pan. or like i saw above, the door sticker would say for sure...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Post up a picture of the door tag. I have the info to decode it for ya. So then you will know for sure on what your car came with when it was brand new.

·
Super Moderator
1,035 Posts
Since my car has been modified in the past I was wondering how I figure out how the car is equipped.

I assume the engine is a 200. How do I find out for sure? How do I determine the date of the engine?

Do I have a C3 or C4? How do I tell the difference?

What size is the rear axle? 7.5 or 6.75? How do I tell the difference?

If I do the V8 conversion will either of these axles be sufficient? I know the V8 Fairmonts had the 7.5 but they didn't produce lots of power.
Your VIN will tell you as well if your decal in the door jam is gone or hard to read.
Here, this site will give you info on the rear axle : Ford Differentials - Ford 10.25,Ford 10.5,Ford 7.5,Ford 8.0,Ford 8.8,Ford 9.0,Ford 9.75,
The 7.5 will hold up just fine. But if you are going to build a power house, you might want to switch out for a 8.8.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'll mention again this car was modified and I'm trying to figure out what is in it now. It was originally a 2.3L and now has a I6. It was originally a manual transmission and now has an automatic. I only have one tag on the door pillar and it looks like another was removed. The tag doesn't tell me anything I don't already know and doesn't appear to have any axle information on it either. There is, however, a tag screwed to the top of the radiator support that I can't decode.

I have no way to post pictures but eventually I will. The only camera i have is my cell phone and I haven't found a way to send them to an email address, just another phone.

I'll check out the axle link and see if I can figure it out. Maybe the axle still has a tag on it but I didn't see one. It could be at the top but I think they are usually attached to one of the lower bolts.

·
Banned
292 Posts
The tag doesn't tell me anything I don't already know and doesn't appear to have any axle information on it either.
I'll check out the axle link and see if I can figure it out. Maybe the axle still has a tag on it but I didn't see one. It could be at the top but I think they are usually attached to one of the lower bolts.
ON the left we have a chrome 7.5, on the right is a chrome 8.8.... except for the chrome part, which one does your diff cover look like? (if it's not either one of these ask Jonzo to take a pic of his 6.75)

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
as for the tranny, count the number of bolts on the pan. if its 11, then you have a C-4. C-3's have 13 bolts. it is modified though so its entirely possible someone threw something else in there. figure out a way to post up some pics and we can identify it for sure.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
(if it's not either one of these ask Jonzo to take a pic of his 6.75)
i no longer have it. i swapped it out in favor of a 7.5 from an 86 cougar

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've identified my rear axle and transmission thanks to some posts here and some other information I found on the internet.

I have a C4 transmission and a 7.5 rear axle. It is very hard to find any information about the 6.75. The 6.75 has an 8 bolt cover while the 7.5 and 8.8 have 10 bolts.

Here are some useful links.

Transmission Spotter's Guide
Ford Transmission Spotter's Guide .: Articles

Axle Tag Decoder
Axle Tag Decoder

Ford Rear Axle Identification
Ford Rear Axle Assembly Identification - Page 09 - FORDification.com

Ford I6 Information
Ford Six Performance Tech Section

·
Registered
89 Posts
cool. glad you got it sorted out. and thanks for the links. i'm sure they'll be put to good use.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
C5 was 82-83. if you had that, it meant you were getting better mileage on the highway, as it had a lock-up torque converter

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Sorry to break in late to the party, But couldn't he check the gear ratio by jacking up one wheel and turning the driveshaft and then counting the number of revolutions it takes for the wheel to make one revolution?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I cant decide if i like that or not...

about it being a c4 if the pan has 11 bolts, it could also be a c5. they are almost exactly the same.
The car in the attachment is mine. I registered it already and paid the fines. :mad2:

According to the link I provided above to ID transmissions it states that the C5 pan has a hump where the C4 has a flat pan. My pan is very flat.

I might be getting another 200 engine and C4 transmission soon from a member here. I've decided to keep it a 6 cylinder for now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts