Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice on what tools to help with door adjustment? I want to adjust the gaps and fit of the doors before starting bodywork. Just loosening the hinge bolts seems problematic I tried a ratchet and ujoint but it scrapes the door edges

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
I forget if you have a 2 or 4 door.
Four door is easier since it weighs less.
Assuming your hinges do not have excessive wear

All the adjustments are made at the hinges
Up - down
In - out
Fore - aft
One side of the hinge does two and the other does one.
If you are doing this by yourself loosen the bolts so the door barely does not move on the hinge
Figure out how much movement and move the door and tighten hinge.

Far easier with two people
Body shops will use a portable jig or stand similar to the picture. Especially on a two door.

When done a striker adjustment may be needed. Along with a window glass adjustment for frameless glass doors

And with the pictures posted my vote is DesertXL will have far more experience than I. With the number of 3rd gen Galaxie/LTD in DesertXLs fleet I know some doors have been removed and rehung

Camera accessory Wheel Cameras & optics Composite material Auto part

Action

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a 2 door, so heavy. I bought some harbor freight s wrenches and offset wrenches, hope they make loosening the bolts easier since I’m sure they’ll need multiple loosening and tightening and anything to help with the aggravation

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It’s a 2 door, so heavy. I bought some harbor freight s wrenches and offset wrenches, hope they make loosening the bolts easier since I’m sure they’ll need multiple loosening and tightening and anything to help with the aggravation
Hello Onceler,

It sounds like you have the front wings/fenders still on? Soooooo at the factory the doors are added to the body shell first. Being a 2 door you'll probably want to focus on the gap between the bottom of the door and the rocker. Those should be parallel. The door edge to rear quarter you'll want to average the gap as the contours will not be 100% identical. Then put the front wings/fenders on along with the bonnet/hood as all three have to play nicely together.

Usually the body section of the factory service manual will tell you steps to set body panel gaps and often it will have a list to follow to make it easy, just like setting door and quarter window alignments.

Being the door is so heavy (fully assembled) you may want to cut some hard rubber strips or soft wood as shims for the bottom and rear quarter edge as that might help mitigate fighting the weight.

Cheers

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interested, I didn’t realize that the doors were installed before the fenders. Makes since now seeing as how some of the bolts are located. I guess I’ll pull the passenger fender and work on that alignment as it seems there might have been some damage on that side at some point. Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Interested, I didn’t realize that the doors were installed before the fenders. Makes since now seeing as how some of the bolts are located. I guess I’ll pull the passenger fender and work on that alignment as it seems there might have been some damage on that side at some point. Thanks!
Yeah, you start from the back and work forward. The quarter panels are fixed in place and everything else is bolted on. You align the door(s) to the quarter panels and then the front fenders to the doors. Evidence of damage to the front end may show up in the amount of shims at the mounting fasteners.

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
72 Posts
Glad this was being asked about already. Worn out hinge pins on my driver's side door means I'm gonna have to re-hang mine too. Neat they've got a tool for positioning the door. That, "tool" for me is usually a friend paid in beer. :LOL:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.