Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone can help me with this or not, but I'm hoping for some suggestions. I have a noise coming from under the hood that sounds exactly like someone is playing drums in a nearby house. Its a deep boom booming. You can't hear it from inside the van at all only when standing next to it. We had driven down a VERY dusty road earlier in the day and my husband thought maybe the air filter was clogged up or something. He changed both air filters and it is still making the noise. Its a 2006 SE if that matters. I dread another trip to the dealer, we have had so many issues with this van but for the last year it has been doing ok, I really hope this isn't the start of another ordeal.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a noise coming from under the hood that sounds exactly like someone is playing drums in a nearby house. Its a deep boom booming. You can't hear it from inside the van at all only when standing next to it.
I am not great with noises and they can be little tricky to identify.

I'd like to ask a few questions, as the more clarification/description of the noise you can give, will in turn, help members to assist you in identifying the noise.

You can hear if only from outside the van - correct? Is it constant - meaning is it the same at normal idle and when the engine is revved? Is it coming from a particular area in the engine - meaning is it in the front, the back, the top, the bottom, the left, the right???

Thinking out loud - it could be an engine noise, an exhaust noise, perhaps even that "hooting" noise some Freestar's had coming from the airbox.

Did I miss anything???

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have an 07' Freestar 3.9L with 66,000 miles and mine has done it since new I don't know exactly what it is but I know it's in the intake because I changed the air filter one time while the van was running and the noise changed and I could here it alot louder in the intake. It's never bothered me but now that someone has brought it up again I think I'll check it out more. I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm sorry - I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier.
I could here it alot louder in the intake.
When I read what you said about the intake, I remembered TSB 06-19-17 "Popping Noise from Intake Area" - I am attaching it, this could be the problem you both are having.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

Reactions: Dominick

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Yahoo! Miss I is back! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry - I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier.

When I read what you said about the intake, I remembered TSB 06-19-17 "Popping Noise from Intake Area" - I am attaching it, this could be the problem you both are having.

Hope it helps.
Thank you! This sounds like the problem!

·
Registered
22 Posts
It would be nice if Ford would sell proprietary tools for everyone to be able to work and program their own vehicles. I have this popping noise too but can only hear it if the hood opened and its not very noticable, probably been fixed already.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I showed my local dealer that Technical Service Bulletin and they said they'd be glad to do the reprogram for me, for an hours worth of labor. So I showed him on the bulletin where it said TIME 0.4 HR. and after some whining they agreed to do it for .5 hr worth of labor. I asked why it wouldn't be free since Ford knows about it and has a TSB on it and they said it was because I'm not under warranty anymore and it's not a recall. I had them look up my service history where at 21000 miles I asked about the noise while having some other warranty work done and at that time they me told all the Freestars did that. They said that service writer no longer works for them and they are sticking to their guns on the .5 hr charge. I've always had great small town first name basis service from this dealer but now I'm getting PO'd. It's not the money, it's the principle. I didn't have them do the service though, I can't decide if I want to take it somewhere else, I have a few other dealers in my area. Just thought I'd update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So the only option to get this fixed is to take it into a dealer and have them reprogram it? Are there any other DIY solutions? like lubing the valve, disconnecting it, duct taping something?? I have this problem on my newly purchased 06 Freestar SE.

Will this cause a problem if left unattended other than a nuisance? Thanks for the bulletin MissI, can you or anyone else give me some more information?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Iv'e got 80 something thousand miles on mine and it's done it the whole time so I don't think it's anything more than a nuisance. I removed my IAC and cleaned it up a little, but there's really nothing wrong with the mechanical side of it. It's the way the Computer controls it, hence the reprogramming. I think I'm just going to leave mine alone. Or if it's ever in the shop for something else I might do it while it's there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts