Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Has anyone out there fitted dual exhaust headers (block hugger style) to a second generation Econoline before?
My 1970 Clubwagon has the original split exhaust system bolted to cast exhaust manifolds (302 Ford). I`ve previously replaced both manifold donut gaskets, but now the left bank is popping again; i figured i`d make myself a new pair of separate exhausts with block hugger steel manifolds. Trouble is, there`s very little space between the old cast manifolds and the floor opening. So Its a toss up between cutting up new headers to fit, or making my own headers from scratch. So i just wondered if anyone out there has already been there and done that??
Many thanks

·
Administrator
15,600 Posts
A long time ago (1980s to 1990s) I had a '74 E100 with a stock 302 and power steering.
I wanted to tow a larger boat and was looking for ways to increase torque and power.
The exhaust system was a consideration..

Replacement headers was a thing I looked at. There was nothing on the market at all that would work. The space was too tight. Making a set of headers was not available at that time for me. Looking at Ebay there are some sets that say they fit. I would question that.

Cutting the floor would have meant creating a custom rear engine cover. And that means loosing floor space. The passengers side would have been uncomfortable. The driver's side means problems stepping on the accelerator pedal.

In the end I used the stock manifolds. I would leave the manifolds alone. With the space that is available, bending pipes in that space may loose much of the benefits of installing a header.
(I never did have issues with the exhaust donuts)

Post pictures would like to see that gen Econoline again.

Action

·
Administrator
15,600 Posts
Very nice!!!

In your part of the planet it is more humid than my location. And that Club Wagon has a lot of weather strips and seals. Keeping them clean and conditioned goes a long way to making them soft, last longer and keeping water out. I use a Meguiars Leather conditioner because I have cars with leather. I use that on leather/rubber/plastic & vinyl. Rather cheap in the US at less than $10 (or 7 or 8 Euro)
Meguiars makes a rubber and vinyl cleaner/conditioner.

I guess the point I am making is some of those rubber seals & weather strip are not available from any source. I believe the door weather strips are now available and for several hundreds dollars. Which makes a $10 spray bottle look like a bargin.

Action

Tire Automotive cleaning Liquid Automotive care Fluid

Reactions: JB Sine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice!!!

In your part of the planet it is more humid than my location. And that Club Wagon has a lot of weather strips and seals. Keeping them clean and conditioned goes a long way to making them soft, last longer and keeping water out. I use a Meguiars Leather conditioner because I have cars with leather. I use that on leather/rubber/plastic & vinyl. Rather cheap in the US at less than $10 (or 7 or 8 Euro)
Meguiars makes a rubber and vinyl cleaner/conditioner.

I guess the point I am making is some of those rubber seals & weather strip are not available from any source. I believe the door weather strips are now available and for several hundreds dollars. Which makes a $10 spray bottle look like a bargin.

Action

View attachment 49289
Thanks very much,... and for the Top Tip! The cheap paintjob it got, just before i bought it is starting to show its age now. So its been a consideration for a while, to buy up any rubber mouldings i can find, for when it gets a fresh coat. But as you say, they`re pretty thin on the ground. In which case, a few quid for a bottle of conditioner might help in the meantime. Cheers.

·
Administrator
15,600 Posts
I kind of thought there was a repaint.
The inside handle on the left rear door was not body color when Ford made it. The right side door will have the same handle. I believe the factory color was a silver or gray of sorts.

Action

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kind of thought there was a repaint.
The inside handle on the left rear door was not body color when Ford made it. The right side door will have the same handle. I believe the factory color was a silver or gray of sorts.

Action
Now that`s interesting... because there`s a strip of silver/gray paint on the drivers B post, by the door lock. I figured it was just a section of overlooked base primer.
Every day is a school day!
Concho

·
Administrator
15,600 Posts
Every day!!!!

Action

Reactions: JB Sine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Concho,
I have an 89 e150 3rd generation with a 351w. And I've been wanting to do headers and dual exhaust. Looked all over the place, mostly looks like having to have it done custom. Also on the third generation they have two gas tanks so I would have to go to one side. I also noticed some on eBay and on this site was a bunch for f150 and mustang:
Trying to figure out if these would fit would be problematic without just buying them. Also I'm not sure how effective shorty headers are compared with normal other than less back pressure with dual exhaust.
Nice van!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hadn't looked at Hooker headers in a while, but it looks like they have some options now. Guess they sold to Holley, but it used to be every style of headers they made were actually Dyno tested. I might be trying a pair out soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts