Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine was running rough, told bad timing....changed out the chains. Would not start, popping in intake.

[1]Thought pulse wheel might be installed wrong,apparently there are many ways to install, depending on engine, year, etc.
Finally found a site which said with crank keyway at 9 O'clock.....pulse wheel gap should point to the crank sensor,(whichever side its located on)
for any duratec....
this also aligned with the YT video was using, does this sound right?

[2] Current symptoms. With Cam sensor installed, get a bit of spark maybe, but get a regular chirping as engine turns over.
With Cam sensor uninstalled....no chirping at all. Had heard about the Cam Synchronizer, but duratec 3.0 doesn't have one as far as I can see.

Was pretty careful putting chains on, clearly, would like to avoid tearing back down....thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Engine was running rough, told bad timing....changed out the chains. Would not start, popping in intake.

[1]Thought pulse wheel might be installed wrong,apparently there are many ways to install, depending on engine, year, etc.
Finally found a site which said with crank keyway at 9 O'clock.....pulse wheel gap should point to the crank sensor,(whichever side its located on)
for any duratec....
this also aligned with the YT video was using, does this sound right?

[2] Current symptoms. With Cam sensor installed, get a bit of spark maybe, but get a regular chirping as engine turns over.
With Cam sensor uninstalled....no chirping at all. Had heard about the Cam Synchronizer, but duratec 3.0 doesn't have one as far as I can see.

Was pretty careful putting chains on, clearly, would like to avoid tearing back down....thanks for any ideas!
Welcome to the Forum
What are you working on
Make Model and Year

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forum
What are you working on
Make Model and Year
Thanks Dominick,
Mercury Mariner 2005, 3.0L Duratec V6...

Have read where a large vacuum leak could cause such behaviour...so will probably do a leak test
with some smoke on intake manifold....but I doubt thats it.....

Also, there is an electrical connector downstream from the Cam sensor that am not sure where it goes,
maybe on the power steering pump, but am also doubting that would affect engine start up....everything else
went back together fine....

Thanks for any ideas you may have....

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Thanks Dominick,
Mercury Mariner 2005, 3.0L Duratec V6...

Have read where a large vacuum leak could cause such behaviour...so will probably do a leak test
with some smoke on intake manifold....but I doubt thats it.....

Also, there is an electrical connector downstream from the Cam sensor that am not sure where it goes,
maybe on the power steering pump, but am also doubting that would affect engine start up....everything else
went back together fine....

Thanks for any ideas you may have....
This is what I found

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dominick,
Watched the vid when doing the chains, unfortunately it stops just before installing the pulse wheel!

That pulse wheel is very confusing.....it can go in two ways,depending on engine and year and location of crank sensor...
but on top of that, apparently there are at least two different ways the markings are placed on these pulse wheels....
and no-one seems to know for any given model year and engine, which is the correct way!!

But, I think I got it correct....or at least gonna assume it is correct, and instead look for other reasons vehicle won't start....
before tearing cover off again.

Thanks for your reply...

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have the answer. But it is here. As a CD for less $
Thanks...thats a pretty good price....am doing this for a friend, so will see if they want to invest in it, will recommend they do!

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Yeah I have the factory shop manuals for all of my vehicles.
The manuals in the last 20 or 30 years have gotten much better than ones printed in the 60s and 70s

While nothing is perfect, getting data from the company that made the car seems like the best advise to have on hand.

Action

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed, have the same for my two vehicles....some are harder to find than others....one would think in this electronic age, manufacturers would make PDFs avail....

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
....one would think in this electronic age, manufacturers would make PDFs avail....
Paper is what the manufacturers made and sold to the dealerships. Every paper copy you see for sale was first paid for by the service department of a dealership. (There is an exception to this and the percentage is very small) Many dealerships bought multiple copies. Then they either sold the manuals or went out of business and that is how the manuals got out to the public.

After 2010 to 2012 time frame the company switched over to DVD format. Likely made dealerships buy a machine to play the DVDs.

All pdf versions have been made by someone that was looking to make a buck. Taking apart a paper copy and creating a version on a CD

Action

1 - 12 of 12 Posts