Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Have a shock question. '09 E-250. I want to replace the OEM shocks with something more heavy duty.
Monroe's direct replacement 34760 (front) 34761 (rear) are,,,,, seem to be, 'weaker' than the ones I took off.
Comparing Monroe E-350 55031 (front) 55032 (rear) shocks are more what I have in mind. Only the 'parts book' sez 350 shocks wont fit a 250.
Comparing both shocks side-by-side. On the rear, the 350's are 3/4'' longer (fully extended) and the upper 'stem' is 5/8'' diameter, to 1/2'' for 250. Everything else is the same.
Is there something I am missing, why I can't put these heaver duty 350 shocks on my 250?
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Hi all, Have a shock question. '09 E-250. I want to replace the OEM shocks with something more heavy duty.
Monroe's direct replacement 34760 (front) 34761 (rear) are,,,,, seem to be, 'weaker' than the ones I took off.
Comparing Monroe E-350 55031 (front) 55032 (rear) shocks are more what I have in mind. Only the 'parts book' sez 350 shocks wont fit a 250.
Comparing both shocks side-by-side. On the rear, the 350's are 3/4'' longer (fully extended) and the upper 'stem' is 5/8'' diameter, to 1/2'' for 250. Everything else is the same.
Is there something I am missing, why I can't put these heaver duty 350 shocks on my 250?
Thanks!
I can't really tell you
It maybe something to do with the axle housing.spring or frame mounting
Or the GVW of the van
Kind of hand cuffed on that one
It would have to be trial and error one your part
You may check a RV shop and see what they say

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
Do you have the shocks in hand or just reading specs?

Your statement that everything else is the same, is that your opinion or the statement made by the shock manufacturer?

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for not getting back sooner! Had a problem with my password, and couldn't log in to finish the shock conversation! Had to wait until one of my daughter came over to re-set it for me.
Now back to the shocks.
last question. I had each shock in hand , laying side-by-side, and was measuring each difference, between same manifacture E-250/E-350 (SRW) shocks.
Update: E-350 shocks will fit and work (better than OEM. Vast improvement!) on a E-250!
One the left front, found it was a lot faster, better to R&R with 2 people! The right front I was able to do myself.
The engineer that designed that moronic lack of access space, and the executive that approved that design, ought to be made to shave their legs and such, 'in public'!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts