Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing a E150 right side door handle. I see that there are rivets and they need to be removed but once you dill out the rivets how do you reattach the new handle? If I buy a new handle at the dealer will it have the new attachment hardware? Do I re-rivet the handle on? Does this require a special tool? Or is the re-attachement done with nuts and bolts?

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can rivet the handle or use 1/4" x 5/8" long button head bolts and nylock nuts - available at ACE hardware in chrome or stainless. The handle rivets are 1/4" diameter x .090 to .115" grip length Marson Stock # 42372. You need a long handle 1/4" riveter for this. Available at your local Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...do?itemid=66422&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

It is easier and cheaper to use the bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I have drilled out the rivets and the handel hangs free. Now my isue is that there seems to be a threaded rod that goes up from the handel to the latch and there is some kind of plastic holder. How do I get the palstic holder off the rod?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it is like the explorer latch, the plastic holder is a clip. It has a cover that snaps over the rod. See attached photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Excellent pictures of the clip, however the pictured orientation of the clip is different than my passenger door handle. The latch face of the clip is facing the outer door skin. If I slide my fingers between the window track and the outer door skin, I can get my finger on the latch but I do not have enough leverage or strength to pop it open.

I cannot get to it from the cab side. Too much traffic and too close to the backside of the window track. I even tried to get a 90° implement on the latch, going in front/outside of the window track but the bent leg of the implement was not long enough to reach back and hook the latch.

Anyone have a secret? Does the clip need to be squeezed together to be able to release the latch? Do I need to fashion a tool to get back and grab it with some force?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.