Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can an ECM be run through a diagnostic if removed from the vehicle? I really don't want to pay to have the vehicle towed to and from the dealer. Just want the unit checked. 2005 Ford Escape 3.0L

Thanks!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Have you had it scanned with a qualified scanner and operator. IIRC your car is CAN compliant....if so, the 'free scans' are useless.
Look around your area for a ECM repair shop or auto-electric shop. They may have a way of testing it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Once you remove the power from the ECM, the memory is gone. There will be no codes in it and you cannot retrieve any information from it

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you had it scanned with a qualified scanner and operator. IIRC your car is CAN compliant....if so, the 'free scans' are useless.
Look around your area for a ECM repair shop or auto-electric shop. They may have a way of testing it.

you're correct, CAN using an 11-bit header

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Once you remove the power from the ECM, the memory is gone. There will be no codes in it and you cannot retrieve any information from it
Yeah, I thought of that too, but he said that he wanted the ECM checked, not examined for stored codes, so I didn't post. I'm glad you brought it up in case he is thinking that he could have it checked for codes that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts