Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find out what the difference between a 5L8A-12A650-LG and a 5L8A-12A650-AAD is? I was at the salvage yard and my vehicle is identical. Same year, engine, tranny, package (XLT 4x4), heck it's even the same Oxford White exterior and Grey/Black cloth interior. Pulled the ECM and its an AAD. Mine is the LG. :confused:

Whats the difference? Anyone? :mad2:

·
Registered
530 Posts
If all the vehicle OPTIONS are the same, it could be as simple as a part number supersession. These 2 SUV's could have been built several MONTHS apart from each other & changes do occur. Even if it was as simple as a different vendor making that part for Ford, it would require a new PN#.

BTW, those are engineering numbers- not the actual Ford PN#.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Trying to find out what the difference between a 5L8A-12A650-LG and a 5L8A-12A650-AAD is?
All ford part number are of the form prefix-base-suffix. The suffix is the generic part (12A650 is a PCM from any vehicle, for any year). The prefix contain model year and vehicle information. The suffix is information about the supplier and "minor" changes to the parts.

PCMs also contain software which does show up ANY WHERE in the part number ! There is usually a sticker with a 2 or 3 letter code related to the software/calibration version that is stuck to the module and a corresponding sticker on either the driver or passenger front door frame.

Now, having told you what I know, I do not know if those parts are interchangeable !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All ford part number are of the form prefix-base-suffix. The suffix is the generic part (12A650 is a PCM from any vehicle, for any year). The prefix contain model year and vehicle information. The suffix is information about the supplier and "minor" changes to the parts.

PCMs also contain software which does show up ANY WHERE in the part number ! There is usually a sticker with a 2 or 3 letter code related to the software/calibration version that is stuck to the module and a corresponding sticker on either the driver or passenger front door frame.

Now, having told you what I know, I do not know if those parts are interchangeable !
Mine has the LBO-A52 according to the sticker, but when I look at the info on line its says it should have LBO-A55. The AAD suffix unit I pulled from the other vehicle says LBO-A55. Sheesh! Could this be any more confusing.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
should be fine. ford didn't like to change things much...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mine has the LBO-A52 according to the sticker, but when I look at the info on line its says it should have LBO-A55. The AAD suffix unit I pulled from the other vehicle says LBO-A55. Sheesh! Could this be any more confusing.
I would call some Ford dealers and inquire with the parts department . My experience tells me some of these guys could answer that question off the top of their head.:idea:

·
Registered
34 Posts
All I can say is that the junkyards group the PCMs with V6 engines for that year into groups which makes me think that you have too get matching PCMs from your group for that year. For some reason the first group a.k.a. yours seem to fail more. My guess is that the group with the wrong spark plugs and not really a problem with the PCMs. My guess is anything PCM ending in LD-LH will work.

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 3.0L, (AT), ID 5L8A-LD thru LH
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 3.0L, (AT), ID 5L8A-AAD
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 3.0L, (AT), ID L3T118881
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 3.0L, (AT), ID ZZC618881
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 3.0L, (AT), ID 5L8A-AC

edit added I just read your sig.
2005 Escape XLT 3.0L 4WD with an ECM more rare than the Presidents birth certificate

That's funny

Good luck check out this site for your part number often;

www dot car-part dot com I can't post links on new board yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I can say is that the junkyards group the PCMs with V6 engines for that year into groups which makes me think that you have too get matching PCMs from your group for that year. For some reason the first group a.k.a. yours seem to fail more. My guess is that the group with the wrong spark plugs and not really a problem with the PCMs. My guess is anything PCM ending in LD-LH will work.

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 3.0L, (AT), ID 5L8A-LD thru LH
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 3.0L, (AT), ID 5L8A-AAD
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 3.0L, (AT), ID L3T118881
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 3.0L, (AT), ID ZZC618881
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 3.0L, (AT), ID 5L8A-AC

edit added I just read your sig.
2005 Escape XLT 3.0L 4WD with an ECM more rare than the Presidents birth certificate

That's funny

Good luck check out this site for your part number often;

www dot car-part dot com I can't post links on new board yet.
Thanks for the site. I can't seem to find one. Lots of the AAD's but none of the LD-LH's. Maybe they have all fried! Sure is discouraging. Dealer has one, but want nearly $900 before programing. :mad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update

I debated whether to post this as I don't want to influence anyone to try something and have more issues! With that said:

I went back and bought the AAD ECM I found in town from the salvage yard. Like I said, the vehicles were identical down to the interior color. I dated the manufacture date by VIN# and my vehicle came off the line in KC around 32 days before this one. Only difference is my old ECM was a LG suffix and the replacement one was a AAD. This vehicle was a theft recovery salvage with 61K miles.

I took my 05 to the dealer and they agreed to attempt to flash the old ECM info on the new one. It worked! They put the new ECM into the vehicle and ran diagnostics and a road test. No problems.

Since then, I have driven over 150 miles with the replacement ECM and everything is working as it should. A/C works better than before. Engine idles dead smooth, temperature is where it should be, and power is where I remember it.

Please Note: In no way am I encouraging anyone to do what I did. I don't know if there will be any long term effects. All indications are if I was going to have issues, it would have manifested in the first 10-20 miles. Keep in mind, I was able to physically inspect the vehicle the AAD came from. I compared all aspects from drive train to all options. I could not find one thing different. Perhaps I just got lucky! Who knows. It does lead one to question the information about AAD/LD-LH incompatability! Less than $100 for the AAD vs. $850 for the LH.

Take this for what it's worth! Like I said, I don't know what the long term effects will be. So far so good! I'll update if anything changes!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The major difference is the build dates. The 5L8Z12A650LG is for a 2004 model Escape with a 3.0L, the 5L8Z12A650AAD is for a 2005 Escape.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The major difference is the build dates. The 5L8Z12A650LG is for a 2004 model Escape with a 3.0L, the 5L8Z12A650AAD is for a 2005 Escape.
I'm gonna have to take oldtimer35's back here. He may be right. In further research, I found that there's a possibility that my vehicle was made in May 04. Which would mean it may be one of the first 05 MY to roll off the line. It's a 05 MY, but I guess they started making them early. Found a May production date and assumed 05! If that's the case, then the problematic LG's may be in the early 05 MY vehicles built in late 04 and then Ford switched to the AAD suffix ECM's early in the production of 05 MY vehicles built in 05. Oh lucky me!

I want my 69 Chevelle back now! :mad2:

Reactions: Dominick

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm gonna have to take oldtimer35's back here. He may be right. In further research, I found that there's a possibility that my vehicle was made in May 04. Which would mean it may be one of the first 05 MY to roll off the line. It's a 05 MY, but I guess they started making them early. Found a May production date and assumed 05! If that's the case, then the problematic LG's may be in the early 05 MY vehicles built in late 04 and then Ford switched to the AAD suffix ECM's early in the production of 05 MY vehicles built in 05. Oh lucky me!

I want my 69 Chevelle back now! :mad2:
A 5/04 build date is pretty early for a '05! The '10 Fusion build were started in something like 6/09 though, so it's possible but normally new model years start to build in August.

·
Registered
248 Posts
In today's world, you cannot go my the build date on a vehicle. You must have the VIN number to get the correct information on a vehicle. For instance, the 2011 F350 pickup hit the streets in early 05/10. By the build date method, this would be a 2010. I deal with this a hundred times a day, as I work at a parts counter in a Ford dealership. So when looking for parts for your car, or truck, do yourself a favor and get the vin off the vehicle, so the person helping you can get the right part, the first time.

Reactions: electro

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
All Calibrations with module ID #LBO-A52, LBO-A55, LBO-A56. Flash unit. Autozoners must call 1-866-38FLASH (1-866-383-5274) before ordering. Leave name, store, entire VIN, year, make, model, engine, etc. These units must be programmed to manufacturer's specifications.
It Looks like you have to get it reflashed.
I just called the Ford Parts where I retired from.
The 5L8a 12A650LG goes to 5L8Z 12A650 LH
the 5L8A 12A650 AAD goes to 5L8Z 12A650 AAD.
The difference being the build date before and after 06/12 but didn't give the year.
That info should be on your drivers door tag.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts