Ford Automobiles banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay so i have a 91 thunderbird engine v6 3.8 non supercharged... I seem to be having a short or electrical problem. My car will start up when its cold fine but idles high, Once i put it in gear the gas gauge goes all the way up and the car dies, then it will not start... i have to wait for the gas needle to go back down before the car will start but like i said idles high and after leaving it on at idle for about 10 min the car overheats. The temperature stays all the way to the H(hot) when the car is off and when i turn the car on stays on L...

Also when i turn the key to the acc position the i noticed the lights go real dim and then after a sec they go bright. Once i start the car they look a little dim and once i press the gas they get brighter... I checked the voltage to the battery and i was getting close to 14.9 somethimes close to 15.... i havent had time to get the alternator checked but is there a chance it might be the alternator? let me know if you guys know of anything else i can check as i have no money for a mechanic until another month and i will like to see if i can fix it before... thanks.

Oh and when the car died on me it killed the battery i took it to autozone and it will not charge past 9v so it was dead...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
The gas guage going all the way to high is probably due to a short to ground.
I'd look for any moving parts in the shift linkage to see if a wire or two are being pinched. Also I'd locate the transmission range sensor, and look for melted parts.

HIgh idle may be a vacum leak, or throttle position sensor TPS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i doubt its a vaccum leak.... i forgot to add that when i honk the horn or lower the windows the car dies, I suspect im losing power somewhere i will take the alternator in and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
If your alternator is trying to charge a shorted battery (9 volts) that can kill your alternator.

Did you replace the battery yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the battery has been replaced was the firs thing i did. Im gonna take the aternator in to see if its maybe overcharging or giving false readings.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
With a freshly charged battery, you should be able to start and run the engine even without the alternator hooked up.

Do you still have all of the same symptoms? Engine stalling as soon as you put it in drive?
Lights getting dimmer and then brighter?

Hmmm, perhaps a bad ground. Check your battery cables... clean and tight at both ends, not just the battery end, but where it contacts the engine block.
Then the little ones too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes all these symptoms are with the new battery. Ill check the grounds and the battery terminals i also replaced new....

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I also have a 1991 like yours.
I read Poppys post and on the kickdown linkage your have a plastic grommet that hold the cable in place.
I had a vacuum leak on mine and it was a broken plastic line that runs across the firewall.
Mine was broken near the AC accumulator.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so i looked again today and there indeed was one plastic hose that was broken i fixed it but it was still acting the same....

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Yes all these symptoms are with the new battery. Ill check the grounds and the battery terminals i also replaced new....
Did you do this yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oops knew i forgot something lol but ya ill take a look again tomorrow or saturday when i have the day off, i get home when its already getting dark so i dont have much time before the sun goes down..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks poppy you have been of great help! I checked the grounds today turns out i didnt have a ground from the frame to the battery only one ground coming from the engine block i believe couldnt really see where it came from. But i added a 4 gauge wire from the frame to the battery and all is good! started right up and even took it around the block ran great! I have to run it more to see if it over heats but thanks alot for all your help! today was a good day got two cars fixed.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
You're welcome, glad I could help. Did it also fix the high idle?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya it fixed the high idle too i guess it was losing power with that crappy ground and not making the engine function like it should.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Yahoo!!! The cooling fans need to be grounded to complete the circuit, so undoubtedly they are fixed too.
I'm going to mark this resolved. Good job moloudbass :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.