Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday on the way home from the office I noticed a car in the parking lot with the hood up, and standing beside it was a lady. I stopped to assist.

The engine had been smoking, overheating and she pulled over to allow it to cool off.

I had her turn the key to on, and then start it, and the electric fans did not come on. It was a '99 mazda 626.

I looked at the under the hood fuse box and I couldn't tell if the fuse to the fan was good, so I swapped it with another 40 amp fuse that was in the box, figuring that it would be unlikely that both would be bad. That had no effect, so I pulled the relays and put them back into place, hoping to clean dirty contacts. No effect, next step was to pull the relays, and swap them around with others that were the same. No effect.

Next step was to call an expert in cooling that I met here, who told me that often if one disconnects the coolent temp sensor that the fan/s will come on. No effect.

(In this particular scenario, there was a bank of three relays that I could not get out without fear of snapping the little brittle connectors, and it appears that the middle of the three was the one for the fans... go figure)

Next step was to take out a sheet rock screw that I had in my little tool box, screw it through the power wire to the fan, and run a jumper wire between it and the pos battery terminal.

One of the two fans came on. Covered the connection with a piece of duct tape, and sent her on her way, with instructions to turn on the heater if the temp started to creep up on her guage.

The tool that saved the day was an 18 in. jumper wire with little aligator clips at both ends. Without that she would have been stranded. Do you have a pair of jumper wires in your little portable tool kit?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
That's good Joe. What I do is make up short wires with spade terminals on them. You can pull the relay out of the box and jump terminals right there for a fast, temporary fix. Then you don't damage wires our have loose ones hanging around.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cannuck!
That is a GREAT Idea! So simple to do, I made a similar jumper wire for pulling codes on OBD1 systems. So now that you mention it I guess one can pull a MacGyver and use a paperclip in an emergency.

What a great tip! Man I'm so proud of you, I'm still smiling :)

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cannuck!
That is a GREAT Idea! So simple to do, I made a similar jumper wire for pulling codes on OBD1 systems. So now that you mention it I guess one can pull a MacGyver and use a paperclip in an emergency.

What a great tip! Man I'm so proud of you, I'm still smiling :)
IF you can figure out which two to jump......Not everyone is as smart as you two LOL.....:smilewinkgrin:

Poppy, sounds like a MacGyver move anyway....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Guess I need to make up a couple jumper wires with aligator clips on the ends and keep them in the tool box. I guess it's the simple stuff that most of us never even think about.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This gal had the owner's manual, but it didn't name the relays so Canuck's trick would not have worked for me, but if one had the needed info, that would have done the trick, it would have been neater, and the fans would have been fuse protected.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Guess I need to make up a couple jumper wires with aligator clips on the ends and keep them in the tool box. I guess it's the simple stuff that most of us never even think about.
Your right Fordman. I've got a load of jumpers at work, and a handful at home, but none in the car. Great idea. Hmmm. Maybe I'll put an inline fuse in there also..... Safety First!

Yesterday on the way home from the office I noticed a car in the parking lot with the hood up, and standing beside it was a lady. I stopped to assist.
Even tho it was a piece of wire that got the lady on the road, the most impressive thing....was a compassionate heart, and a willingness to help.

These do not come standard in any toolbox.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Even tho it was a piece of wire that got the lady on the road, the most impressive thing....was a compassionate heart, and a willingness to help.

These do not come standard in any toolbox.
You're right! Joe is such a gentleman, most people would have drove on by.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts