Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter picked up my 2007 Fusion 2.3L from the body shop today (minor ding repairs). She noticed that the subject light stayed on while she drove the 15 miles home.

I made sure the gas tank cap was tight. I test drove it after checking the oil. I assume the body shop disconnected the battery because I noticed the MPG rapidly increasing on the Info display. The car had been filled with Sunoco gas prior to taking it to the body shop on 5/24. The car starts and runs fine, but the light will not go out.

I read the owner's manual and did the following suggested "test". I left the key on for 15 seconds and the emissions system light blinked the eight times like the owner's manual said it would, for "not needing Inspection / Maintenance".

I suppose I need to drive it until I can add some gas treatment and some higher octane gas (in case of water in the gas), maybe??

Does anyone have other ideas? I'm thinking of taking it to the Advance Auto store to see if they can run a diagnostic test.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I am a Tar Heel Ford Guy.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sounds like you may have a phantom code. I have seen that before where the light is on but there is no code to display. Clear it and the light goes out. Go to a parts store and have them read and clear the code for you. If they tell you it had one report it here and we will have a look at it. If they tell you no codes just tell them to clear it anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C623, Thanks very much. I now know what to ask for at the parts store! I'll start there. I'll let you know what I find out, but it will be later tonight.

I knew someone would have an idea!! I'm going to search for similar threads on here, and probably should have before posting my quesiton, but I'm not too familiar with this site, yet, and thought I'd ask first.

This site is exactly as expected. Right on the money!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow-up

Good News. It fixed itself! This morning, after driving it for ~ 100 miles since light came on, the emissions systems idiot light went off. I did not have a chance to get to the auto parts store for a diagnostic check, but still plan to do so, to see if a code shows up, and to have it cleared, regardless if one shows up or not, per suggestion from Canuck623.

I will let you know how the diagnostic comes out.

Now, a weird thing, and I wonder if it could be related. As the car had been in the body shop, and had some paint work done on it, the solvent odor inside the car was extremely strong. Is it possible that the strong ambient solvent could have been "inhaled" in the engine and that caused the emissions system light to come on? Just wonder if anyone has had that happen, or if it was simply a coincidence.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be back, to browse if not post. Let me know if you have questions about the Norfolk Assembly Plant. The wrecking balls (actually giant shears) are warming up. It's a shame.

·
Registered
543 Posts
In most of the electronic engine control systems there is a part of the programming that will eliminate a code if the code, that is the cause for the code, is corrected. If the system does not "see" the problem after so many key starts, or so many miles, etc. then the code is eliminated and the CEL is turned off.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
In most of the electronic engine control systems there is a part of the programming that will eliminate a code if the code, that is the cause for the code, is corrected. If the system does not "see" the problem after so many key starts, or so many miles, etc. then the code is eliminated and the CEL is turned off.

That's true Skyhawk but it may also leave a code in the history for a while. Up to 80 key cycles in some models. It would be interesting to see what the issue that has corrected it'self was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Diagnostic Codes P2104 and P2112

I just got back from the Auto Parts Store.

Code P2104 (Tachometer?) and Code P2112 (?) showed up. The tech cleared them before I could write down all of the text.

It appears the P2104 has to do with the throttle actuator contol and the P2112 has to do with the PCM. From another site:P2104 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Forced Idle
P2112 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Stuck Closed.
P2104 was set because the pcm had to step in to set the idle. The TAC system is in the failure mode effects management (FMEM) mode of forced idle. P2104 is just an informative code, set because of P2112. P2112 possible causes: Binding throttle body, stuck closed or
Damaged PCM

So far, the engine (/ emissions sys.) light remains off. Car starts and runs fine.

Any chance this was related to solvent fumes in Body shop? Fumes were very strong inside car when it was picked up. When fumes were not noticeable, the light went out. Coincidence?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Canuck623 / Skyhawk - Comment (if you can), thanks

Does anyone have info on why the two codes P2104 and P2112 would have shown up? I had them cleared and they have not recurred.

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts