Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ford E350, 5.8L, 1988 RV conversion

The engine started, but internal heating fan had no power. A few seconds later, the fan came on and the engine died.

It wouldn't start.

A few minutes later it started, ran for about 30 second and cut out.

Now won't start at all.

I've no idea why. 馃檨

Registered
Welcome to the Forum
Do you have fire to the plugs
One good starting place is to check that
If not
Take the TFI mode off and take the back off of it
If it has bubbles in it
It needs replaced

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. It's cold and dark now so I won't be able to look at it until tomorrow but what is a TFI?

Super Moderator
Welcome to the FFO!

Not sure of the fan you are referring about.
Radiator fan. Heater and/or AC fan. Or some other fan.
The electrical fan may have no relationship to the engine starting issue.

As to craning engine with no start, isolating the issue between fuel and ignition would be a good starting point.
After cranking is there fuel on the fuel rail?
With a timing light connected, does the light flash?

Has this been sitting a long time?
If yes how long ago was the fuel filter replaced?
How many miles on the vehicle?

Action

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Sitting for 48 hours and has been driven 10,000 miles in the last 6 months without an issue. Fuel filter was replaced six months ago. Temperatures here haven't yet got below freezing.

We're about to get record cold temperatures tomorrow so probably not going to get to it. I'm just going to sit in the back with the heater on full blast. That's the nice thing about breaking down in an RV as long as you're parked in a safe spot you can just ride out bad weather, and fix it at your convenience lol.

The fan that was off and on is the internal heater fan the one that controls cabin temperature. It's cold so first I was glad the vehicle started without issue, then I was wondering why the fan wasn't on. Then the engine died. Thinking back I think the stereo was out too. So I think accessory power was lost temporarily.

Ill isolate fuel or electrical when I can work without freezing to death, and take it from there. I was mostly curious to see if anyone has had an issue with accessory power coming and going and then the engine being dead.

Super Moderator
Thanks for the data.

A common issue was at one point the failure of the TFI module. The failure of the TFI module stops the engine from running. It can be intermittent due to heat. Heat for this part is a big deal. And heat will eventually cause the module to fail all together.
TFI = Thick Film Ignition
It is an ignition module that is bolted to the side the distributor. Not very big in size and no longer super expensive. There is a specific way to install. But replacing it without knowing for sure is a $50 + dollar guess plus labor.

The issue that does have some commonality is the ignition switch and the primary ignition circuit. The ignition switch also turns on the accessories. The HVAC fan motor would be one of those items. The thing to be aware is what other electrical items work or do not work when that situation occurs. If it is only the heater blower fan the heater blower fan resistor would be suspect. An easy diagnosis for that is does the fan work on high speed only. If yes the heater blower fan resistor is the issue. That resistor is only electrically connected on all speeds except high.

Very cold weather can cause fuel system issues. Usually due to water or moisture in the fuel system. If you have been driving it a lot, moisture in the fuel system become less of an issue because fuel is moving through the system on a very regular basis. RVs tend to sit for long periods of time. Which is a unique circumstance.

Action

1 - 8 of 8 Posts