Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a puzzle. I've searched all over and can't find any issues that match mine exactly. I have a 2011 Escape. The rear hatch won't open and the rear glass will not open with the button on the hatch, but the key fob will open the glass remotely. There is no clicking when pressing the glass button or the hatch button. There was such a click six months ago, when I replaced the glass latch as well as the hatch latch. They've been working perfectly since then. Here's what I've done to troubleshoot the current issue.

Fuse 7 in the engine looks good. I've swapped the relay with the rear light relay and it didn't change anything. Since the glass opens with the remote, I'm guessing it's not a problem in the fuse box.

The hatch latch is only a few months old. I've verified with a multimeter that the latch button works correctly. The latch open/close sensor works correctly, again tested with a multimeter. The latch mechanism itself jumps into action when 12V is applied to the actuator. I don't think the problem is in the latch or the latch button, but I'm convinced that there's a wiring issue that's preventing current from being sent to the latch when the latch button is pressed.

I've confirmed with a multimeter that the glass button works correctly. The license plate lights work fine. The glass latch must work because it works with the remote. There is no "glass ajar" warning on the dash.

What is going on? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

My comments -
I do not specifically understand what you have written. Partly because you wrote this, " .... when I replaced the glass latch as well as the hatch latch. They've been working perfectly since then."

If the lift gate and/or lift gate glass works in any manner with any buttons either remotely, at the liftgate or inside the vehicle, there is not an issue with a fuse or electric circuit. If there was an issue with a fuse or electric circuit the component would not work at all under any circumstance with any button. The same can be said for the lock/unlock actuator. If it works under one set of controls and not the other, it is not the actuator. It would be a control.

If the key fob makes the component work however the exterior button does not operate the component. The exterior button may have problems. That is where I would start if I understand your post.

I have a full-sized SUV. None of the exterior buttons of the liftgate work until all of the doors unlock.
There is no separate warning light for the liftgate and rear glass being ajar on my vehicle. There is one warning light that serves for both. Check your owner's manual for exact operation and warnings.

I would not be concerned about hearing or not hearing a click. If the component works as designed or outlined in the owner's manual, that is all I am concerned with.

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, I meant the latches I replaced six months ago worked perfectly until today when the buttons quit making them work. I've verified both buttons work with a multimeter - at least they close the circuit to the plug when they're pressed. There is no click on hatch latch or glass latch when the buttons are plugged in and pressed.

The battery was dead today. In fact, I originally thought it was just a dead battery causing the hatch and glass buttons to not work, but they didn't work once the engine was running either which is what sent me down the troubleshooting journey.

The glass only works with the key fob remote. Neither button on the rear hatch activates the hatch or the glass. The only way to open the hatch is by removing the plastic and manually moving the actuator.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Does the lift gate have a feature where you push a button and the lift gate opens?
How cold is it in your location?

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Action, thanks so much for your help. Something you said in your first reply got me thinking last night. It turns out that it was the door locks. The battery was dead and somehow I think the computer thought the doors were in a locked state. I never lock the doors so it never occurred to me to cycle the lock mechanism once the power was restored. Once I did that the rear buttons work correctly now. I wish I'd have thought about that before I tore the whole rear hatch apart!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
One of the things that electronics are very sensitive to is electrical power. If the power is low or degraded electronics do some weird things.
The power lift gate on my SUV gets a bit wonky if the battery gets low.

Action

1 - 6 of 6 Posts