Ford Automobiles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico is something that I am sure is on everyone's minds. We can help, each and everyone of us.

I am using the forum to reach out across North America to ask for help. What can I do to help? Hair, both human and animal is being used to make booms to absorb the oil that is threatening the entire Gulf Coast from the smallest plant to the livelihood of our friends and neighbours.

I have contacted some of my friends, who are Barber's and Hairstylist's by trade and they have contacted all the Salon's, Barber Shops and people they know in their area of Ontario and the Upper Peninsula Michigan, I also have contacted all the local shops, pet stores and groomers, as well as the farmers in my area we all have requested that the hair that would normally be sent to compost from their Business and other Businesses be sent to Matter of Trust so that they are able to make more booms.

I am asking you to help spread the word, it is just too easy to do nothing, when we all have the power in us to help. This crisis is affecting each and everyone of us in one way or another and it will most assuredly affect our children in the long run.

If this is the simplest thing we can do by sending hair that would otherwise go to waste to help clean up a mess that admittedly is not ours, then lets do it. We have nothing to lose by printing off the instructions and taking them to our local Barber Shop, Hair Salon, or by simply passing the information along. The word will spread and the help will too.

We have the power in us to do this, so please help!

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to Matter Of Trust : Programs : Hair Mats Information

Sidebar: I apologize to those offended by my using this Forum as my own personal SoapBox.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
MissInformation,
I made this a sticky until the crisis is over.

Thanks for helping to keep our world a little greener. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poppy,

Thank you, I appreciate you doing that and am grateful for the fact that you have the power to help too.

I would like to add that a 12” by 12” by 1/4” square of hair can absorb more than a quart of oil.

I get 3 to 4 times that amount from brushing just one of my dogs, which is why I keep at special container out back by the composter for dog hair – the birds and other creatures like to use it for building nests. But we also use it to stuff into old nylons and make our own “hair booms” and keep them in the Garage – as spillage seems to happen when working on your own vehicles and they have come in handy more than once.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Great post "miss information".

There was a very similar article today in our local paper! :smile5:

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There was also a story on Daily Planet here in Ontario. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
262 Posts
With my recent adventures with my Windstar. I don't think my hair would be able to hold any more oil... LOL!!!

But I know of this & have spread the word with my facebook page. It just so happens I have someone on my friends list that is a dog groomer. She's was more than interested in the link & promised to share it with her employer.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Miss Information,I applaud your effort in a grassroots plan to help with the disastorous oil spill that has invaded the Gulf.And I am as envirornmentally consious as the next guy (maybe you've seen my rants in threads here),but sending hair is not going to fix the problem.Yes it looks nice when groups of people are stuffing socks and tubes with hair.But there is alot more than meets the eye here.All these contraptions need to be secured together and laid out on the water.The professional oil booms placed around the spill have already started to come apart and you expect homemade ones to be any better.These will start break apart and become a menace to commercial and reccreational boating.

With the amount of oil leaking everyday whether you believe it's 50,000 or 100,000 barrels a day thats an unimaginable number of quarts of oil and most of it is well below the surface.

If you really want to help the effort,in my humble opinion,it would do more good to contact your government representitive on a daily basis and if everybody within internet range of this would do the same,the governments would get off their lazy ass's and put a real plan together instead of letting three inept companies who can't exceept responsibility for the accident handle it.We got three Appolo 13 astronauts home from the moon with duct tape and some foam pads,we should be able to figure this out in a day or two.

And if you really want to be enviormentally concious cut down on driving,buy more fuel efficient vehicles so we don't have to destry the habitat looking and drilling for oil.

Remember call your congressmen,congresswomen,senator govenor,any politician daily and don't let up.They'll get the message and attack it with everything at their disposal.
Here's some useful #
Environmental Protection Agency
Ariel Rios Building
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20460
(202) 272-0167

White House
Switchboard: 202-456-1414

US House of Representatives
(202) 224-3121

US Senate
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Last month my barber got an email that they no longer want them to send them hair for the booms.

I Really want to thank MissInformation for bringing this to our attention so that we could participate in some small way.

I am going to leave this thread intack, but "unsticky" it.

Thank you to all of you who brought this to the attention of your barbershop, or hair salon.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I agree Poppy. A big thanks to MissInformation for helping us "Keep our Eyes on the Prize"...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwQOD_Ir2vQ"]YouTube - Hair soaks up oil spills[/ame]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.