Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Ford Freeport E350 Class C Motorhome with a V10 6.8 l engine in it with 179,000 miles on it.
My service mechanic advised that the left exhaust manifold missing at least 2 bolts, AND the right exhaust manifold missing 5 bolts. I took it to a highly recommended heavy duty truck repair shop. They reassessed it and advised very similarly that they would replace all the exhaust manifold studs that were broken off. They (later) advised me that "the book" said this was an 8 hour task, but they quoted me on 9 just to be sure. They ultimately spent at least 10 before they informed me they could not do it. They said "removed various parts just to get at, bolted up engine, removed right side engine mount, removed exhaust down pipe (broke one stud), and attempted to remove as all but 2 studs broken. Attempted MULTIPLE methods to extract broken studs - weld nuts to loosen but kept breaking deeper and deeper into head. Attempt drill out but so little access even with angle drill and more methods but nothing works. Claims head needs to be pulled there is just no way these bolts are being extracted with such limited access on this motorhome." The motorhome has now been rendered undriveable! An expert from a muffler repair shop came down and also assessed it. It was towed to his shop but after numerous similar hours he too advised inability to repair due to access. I now have a huge bill - for less than nothing on my hands! And an inoperable scrap vehicle on my hands. Can't even get it to the RV graveyard.
Does anyone out there have any experience or suggestion on what to do & where to go to from here??

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
The only thing that I can think of is to remove the engine
Sorry that's not much help

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Or remove the cylinder heads. Both sides.

After the cylinder heads are removed you might just replace them. Sounds radical.
But how much labor would it cost to pay for the bolt extractions?

There are 10 studs.
Cost of a head is $500
Divide $500 by 10 = $50.
If the shop labor rate is $50 an hour and they spent an hour on each stud, you would have the cost of rebuilt heads (free shipping)

Something to consider
https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-01-Ford-6-8L-SOHC-V-10-REBUILT-Cylinder-Head-CASTING-F7UE-Right-SIDE-ONLY/124006782959?fits=Year:1998|Make:Ford&hash=item1cdf6157ef:g:S8EAAOSwgPRd8Efx

There will be labor to remove and replace the heads.

>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
As a post script, broken studs are a mess
Broken exhaust manifold studs are the worst mess.
Getting very good access to the broken stud is mandatory.

Doing that job in the vehicle (not a truck a van like motorhome!) is possible and the odds are not good.

I have done the job of removing heads from a full sized van. It is a very tight space to work in just to remove the parts. Doing machining work in there. Not me.

Just my opinion. And I think the shop or the tech owes you a few free hours.

>>>>Action

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 1998 Ford Freeport E350 Class C Motorhome with a V10 6.8 l engine in it with 179,000 miles on it.
My service mechanic advised that the left exhaust manifold missing at least 2 bolts, AND the right exhaust manifold missing 5 bolts. I took it to a highly recommended heavy duty truck repair shop. They reassessed it and advised very similarly that they would replace all the exhaust manifold studs that were broken off. They (later) advised me that "the book" said this was an 8 hour task, but they quoted me on 9 just to be sure. They ultimately spent at least 10 before they informed me they could not do it. They said "removed various parts just to get at, bolted up engine, removed right side engine mount, removed exhaust down pipe (broke one stud), and attempted to remove as all but 2 studs broken. Attempted MULTIPLE methods to extract broken studs - weld nuts to loosen but kept breaking deeper and deeper into head. Attempt drill out but so little access even with angle drill and more methods but nothing works. Claims head needs to be pulled there is just no way these bolts are being extracted with such limited access on this motorhome." The motorhome has now been rendered undriveable! An expert from a muffler repair shop came down and also assessed it. It was towed to his shop but after numerous similar hours he too advised inability to repair due to access. I now have a huge bill - for less than nothing on my hands! And an inoperable scrap vehicle on my hands. Can't even get it to the RV graveyard.
Does anyone out there have any experience or suggestion on what to do & where to go to from here??
Unfortunately, if the mechanic would've just removed the heads in the first place they would've had better success. I would have done that in the first place being the inaccessibility of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts