Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vehicle Car Measuring instrument Tachometer Gauge
Auto part Gauge Vehicle Car Wheel
Me and my wife just bought a 2002 Ford Expedition 4.6l and we drove the truck for about 10-15 miles and then went to get gas turned the truck off and it started fine drove it home which was about 2 miles away then when my wife went to leave about a hour or so later the truck won’t start the previous owner said that the fuel pump could be going out but it also said low oil pressure so it was about 2 qts low so I added oil and also replaced the oil pressure sensor cause the high temp low oil light came on but after replacing the sensor I would try to start it and still won’t start the high temp low oil light and low oil pressure light would go off but after a few try’s of starting it comes back on? Any suggestions? I’m not sure what to do

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The oil pressure or high coolant temp does not stop the engine from starting. So I am going to set that one aside for now.

Engine cranks and does not start. Typically it is either ignition or fuel. Let's say it is fuel. To check the pump with no tools, open the fuel filler cap and put an ear close by. Some one else turns the ignition key on and does not crank the engine. A sound should be heard in the tank which is the fuel pump running. It won;t run for long, just enough to build pressure and then shuts off. That event will last some seconds and the pump will shut off.

If no sound is heard, it would be logical that the pump is not working. However it is possible the pump does not have power.

If sound from the tank it is logical to assume the pump is working in some manner.

Post back.

>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
View attachment 43292 View attachment 43294 Me and my wife just bought a 2002 Ford Expedition 4.6l and we drove the truck for about 10-15 miles and then went to get gas turned the truck off and it started fine drove it home which was about 2 miles away then when my wife went to leave about a hour or so later the truck won’t start the previous owner said that the fuel pump could be going out but it also said low oil pressure so it was about 2 qts low so I added oil and also replaced the oil pressure sensor cause the high temp low oil light came on but after replacing the sensor I would try to start it and still won’t start the high temp low oil light and low oil pressure light would go off but after a few try’s of starting it comes back on? Any suggestions? I’m not sure what to do
Did she use a different key than you did?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

The oil pressure or high coolant temp does not stop the engine from starting. So I am going to set that one aside for now.

Engine cranks and does not start. Typically it is either ignition or fuel. Let's say it is fuel. To check the pump with no tools, open the fuel filler cap and put an ear close by. Some one else turns the ignition key on and does not crank the engine. A sound should be heard in the tank which is the fuel pump running. It won;t run for long, just enough to build pressure and then shuts off. That event will last some seconds and the pump will shut off.

If no sound is heard, it would be logical that the pump is not working. However it is possible the pump does not have power.

If sound from the tank it is logical to assume the pump is working in some manner.

Post back.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Well I checked that and can’t hear the pump turn on at all but previous owner said fuel pump was possibly going out I guess just my luck that it went out when we got it

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
Sounds reasonable.

If It were me I would take one more step before dropping the tank.
Check for current at the connector to the fuel pump.
If there is electrical current and the pump does not run at all, yeah you have a bad pump.

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
543 Posts
If there is no power to the pump look for a bad fuse or more likely a relay. Less likely a fuse because if it was blown you would not have got it started to get home. Also check connections for corrosion or looseness. A poor ground connection can be the cause. Just some thoughts.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
May be shown in the owners manual.
Or the underside of the cover might have it too/

>>>>Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
Text Font Design Parallel Crossword

In the battery junction box.

>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds reasonable.

If It were me I would take one more step before dropping the tank.
Check for current at the connector to the fuel pump.
If there is electrical current and the pump does not run at all, yeah you have a bad pump.

>>>>>Action
Lol, ya gotta drop the tank to check for power at the pump anyway. They are not difficult to drop though. Did it on my 98 and my 99 Expy's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts