Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Too many numbers, too little brain. Any input is appreciated. After searching for just the right travel trailers to start the family trips, I found it. Right floor plan, right price. I have a 2003 Expedition EB 5.4L w/ the 3.73 gear, Class IV hitch and 7-pin plug (I believe the tow package is included). I understand the towing specs to be 8900lbs and 890 on the hitch (w/ dist). The trailer specs: Shipped: 7304 Hitch (dry): 665 Carrying Capacity: 1696. It's a 31' rig with electric brakes. Will be getting weight dist and anti-sway.

Thoughts one the overall weights for the Expy to tow?

I have towed lighter rentals before, but this is the first purchase. The specs look to be in a comfortable range. We will at times be going up hill to the local mountains. Wanted to get the advise of more experianced tow-ers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
While I can't comment on that particular hitch, I can say that I did pull a trailer using a Reese weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bars, across country and back, and it is the only way to tow a big trailer like that. (Other than a fifth wheel).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the hitch input. Any thoughts on the overall size and weights of the trailer in regards to Expy towing?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Towing that load would not be a problem for your expedition....stopping is a concern IMO. Both the trailer and tow rig brakes need to be up looked after regularly.
You may want to keep an eye on the transmission....
Do you have a trans temp gauge? Not the one in the dash...they aren't very accurate.
If not, I highly recommend one. If the temps go higher than ~210-220F you might want to add a larger cooler. Also, you should tow with the over drive (OD) off at speeds below, say 60 MPH. The trans temp gauge will tell you when to drop out of OD. Keep up with the trans fluid/filter changes.
Happy towing

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
:blinking:
I see that you modified your initial post. I thought that you included the towing capacity of your rig in the initial post.

Please don't modify your post after someone responds, if you need to make a correction, then please do so in another post.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
should be fine:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts