Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 92 Ford Explorer,105,000 miles,hard to start after running at highway speeds, especially in hot weather.Seems like it is flooded,it sometimes will fire and quit right away ,try again and hold the throttle open till it clears out.After it finally starts it seems to run ok .Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I have 92 Ford Explorer,105,000 miles,hard to start after running at highway speeds, especially in hot weather.Seems like it is flooded,it sometimes will fire and quit right away ,try again and hold the throttle open till it clears out.After it finally starts it seems to run ok .Any help is appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum
Have you kept it well maintained?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the only car that I bought new,still my daily driver. I have always maintained everything all these years.Oil change at 3,000 miles etc. Always parked in my garage,still looks good.Now that I am old,over 75,I don't drive it as often.It starts up good when cold,seems that it doesn't like hot weather.Could it be a bad "coolant temp sensor"?I see that you have a 36 Ford Street Rod,looks good.I have a 37 Ford 4 door Street Rod that I built back in the 70s. Thanks for answering my post.Jerry

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
This is the only car that I bought new,still my daily driver. I have always maintained everything all these years.Oil change at 3,000 miles etc. Always parked in my garage,still looks good.Now that I am old,over 75,I don't drive it as often.It starts up good when cold,seems that it doesn't like hot weather.Could it be a bad "coolant temp sensor"?I see that you have a 36 Ford Street Rod,looks good.I have a 37 Ford 4 door Street Rod that I built back in the 70s. Thanks for answering my post.Jerry
That car isn't mine
It belonged to a friend of mine that owned a Rod and custom shop
That I hang out and help sometimes

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Have you had any codes pulled from the car
They will do it for free at AutoZone
Get the codes and let us know what the codes are
Glad to see another oldtimer on here
I'll be 82 this month
Post photos of your 37 if you can

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Seems like what you are posting is the fuel is boiling or has vapor lock. Which is very unusual for fuel injection. Fuel under pressure has a higher temp before it vaporizes.

You do not state the engine, your location (your profile is not complete) which can influence the concern.
To rule out or diagnose if it is a fuel related concern you would want to get the pressure off of the fuel rail on the engine under that situation.

Possible causes
Restricted fuel filter (Thanks Dominick)
Restricted air filter - gets fuel and not air
Weak high pressure fuel pump
Old O2 sensors

>>>>Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you had any codes pulled from the car
They will do it for free at AutoZone
Get the codes and let us know what the codes are
Glad to see another oldtimer on here
I'll be 82 this month
Post photos of your 37 if you can
I Don't get any check engine codes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the FFO!

Seems like what you are posting is the fuel is boiling or has vapor lock. Which is very unusual for fuel injection. Fuel under pressure has a higher temp before it vaporizes.

You do not state the engine, your location (your profile is not complete) which can influence the concern.
To rule out or diagnose if it is a fuel related concern you would want to get the pressure off of the fuel rail on the engine under that situation.

Possible causes
Restricted fuel filter (Thanks Dominick)
Restricted air filter - gets fuel and not air
Weak high pressure fuel pump
Old O2 sensors

>>>>Action
Thanks for help.I'm in Lancaster Pa.,Two weeks ago the temp here was in the 90s I went to Home Depot about 4 miles away,when I ready to leave the car would not start for about 10 tries,when it finally stayed running with the gas pedal floored I drove to a gas station I kept it running and when I opened the gas cap it made a whooshing sound and blew a lot of pressure out of the tank. I put in about 5 gal of high test gas and drove about a mile home,it seemed to run ok . Engine is the 4 liter.The fuel gauge has been broken for years.Thanks for all the help,Jerry

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
You might try the fuel pump relay under the hood
There are some that are the same
switch them around and see if that helps
If that does help check your fuel pressure
should be about 40 PSI when warm

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
I drove to a gas station I kept it running and when I opened the gas cap it made a whooshing sound and blew a lot of pressure out of the tank. I put in about 5 gal of high test gas and drove about a mile home,it seemed to run ok . Engine is the 4 liter.The fuel gauge has been broken for years.Thanks for all the help,Jerry
The pressure release was due to the tank and vent system not venting.
It may be part of the concern. But not likely. If you want install the fuel cap just don't crank it down all the way. At least the tank will vent.

And there are a few other things in post #6 as well.

>>>>Action

1 - 13 of 13 Posts