Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Explorer will not crank if the temperature outside gets above 78 degrees. Starts fine in the mornings and in the evenings. If the afternoon gets warm enough, car will not turn over. As soon as it gets cooler outside, it will start easily. No problems driving. Also, can start and turn car off and restart as long as it is not hot outside. Had PCM replaced, but did not help. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
My 2004 Explorer will not crank if the temperature outside gets above 78 degrees. Starts fine in the mornings and in the evenings. If the afternoon gets warm enough, car will not turn over. As soon as it gets cooler outside, it will start easily. No problems driving. Also, can start and turn car off and restart as long as it is not hot outside. Had PCM replaced, but did not help. Thanks for the help.
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/thr...nd-check-drains-on-the-electrical-system.202/

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
The battery would be the first item to look at. Mant fast moving parts stores will test your battery for free.

Other issues -
Less than ideal cable connections at the battery and starter
A starter that is at the end of service life
Too far advanced timing

There are others as well and these are at the top of my list for that issue.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever figure this out??? My 2014 Explorer has been this way since I bought it. Every summer when it gets over 105 degrees. I replaced the battery and even the ignition Switch no luck!!!

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Is your condition no crank or slow cranking engine?

Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is your condition no crank or slow cranking engine?

Action
Idk what crank is but I would imagine you are talking about it turning over. So the air, radio, everything comes on but the motor. I turn the key and silence. The Ford guy thought maybe the ignition area was swelling in the heat. I replaced the ignition switch and still nothing. If I park in shade it tends to not happen…not guaranteed but happens less. It is tuxedo black. When in sun and over 105 it will not turn on. I’ll sit there trying for 20 minutes. Open doors, roll down windows, shade ignition switch trying to cool the truck down eventually it will start and run like nothing ever happened 🤦‍♀️ Its so annoying, happens on the hottest days so there I am hot asf and stuck with a nice shinny truck that won’t freakin start. #DesperatelySeekingHelp haha

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
The issue can be electrical or mechanical

Does the SUV have push button start or remote start?

(Asssuming the ignition key goes into the steering column lock)
For mechanical it can be the physical connection between the switch and the lock
I can not find the diagram I want on the net.
For the ignition switch, how was it connected to the steering column key lock when you replaced the ignition switch?

Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
The issue can be electrical or mechanical

Does the SUV have push button start or remote start?

(Asssuming the ignition key goes into the steering column lock)
For mechanical it can be the physical connection between the switch and the lock
I can not find the diagram I want on the net.
For the ignition switch, how was it connected to the steering column key lock when you replaced the ignition switch?

Action
No push, no remote start. Good old fashion put key in and turn. I want to say the answer is yes but Ford guy replaced it. I can tell on the column where he replaced it. So I’m pretty sure the answer is yes. But they could not figure out why it was doing it. Basically sent me home with sorry we don’t know 😒

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Product Schematic Font Rectangle Slope
Product Schematic Font Rectangle Slope

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
The video is speaking to a mechanical issue.
Isolating between a mechanical issue or an electrical issue is key.

Action

1 - 13 of 13 Posts