Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got an 83 bird donor 5.0 aod colum shift dual hump crossmember and a 79 futura 3.3 6cyl colum shift what all should i swap and what can be used on the mont? also the bird has new rack can i use that? i got a 1993 stang k-member outta a 4cyl car still has a arms and spindles. also can i make the colum shift work? also what drive shaft do i use? or if the aod is to much hassle i have 2 different v8 c-4's one out of a fairmont wagon, one out of a maverick. i plan on using exhaust manifolds and all. i should be able to put a holly 2 barrel carb on this intake, correct? thank's in advance.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
got an 83 bird donor 5.0 aod colum shift dual hump crossmember and a 79 futura 3.3 6cyl colum shift what all should i swap and what can be used on the mont? also the bird has new rack can i use that? i got a 1993 stang k-member outta a 4cyl car still has a arms and spindles. also can i make the colum shift work? also what drive shaft do i use? or if the aod is to much hassle i have 2 different v8 c-4's one out of a fairmont wagon, one out of a maverick. i plan on using exhaust manifolds and all. i should be able to put a holly 2 barrel carb on this intake, correct? thank's in advance.
i made the ones for sure bold. what you should do is swap the engine, computer and all. take the rear axle. it will make your life a whole lot easier if you take the engine crossmember, drop it out if the bird with engine and trans attached, and bolt it in place of your old inline 6. the mounting points are the same, and you won't have to do any guess work on angles and stuff. the driveshaft I'm not too sure about, but i do believe it should work if from the t-bird. if not the stang should work due to it being shorter. some of the other guys might be able to tell you, as i have not yet swapped to the AOD... hope this helps

oh, and it's really easy to hook up linkage from the floor to the AOD. most of it's the same

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have the rearend covered in the mont allready a 3:08 posi with slapper bars out of an 83 mustang gt. what's involved with the floor shift i'm not used to this "new age" stuff like the aod. lol. the t-bird has the throttle body setup i think i will pass on. as far as swapping k-members i thought the t-bird was wider than the fairmont? i was allways told the mustang k-member was the way to go. otherwise i would LOVE to just roll out the whole k-member motor trans and all believe me.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
wasn't it the 87 t bird where the crossmember will fit? i have been able to pull that one off from t-bird to stang...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
yeah, because i almost took the one out of the 86 cougar i had, but it was damaged before i could start...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are the a arms longer? what are people talkin about t-birds being wider? is it certain years? should i put the same wheels on the front of the bird and measure to be 100%? the fairmont is my daily driver i don't want it being down to long so i want to get all the info i can before i take it apart.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
they're really close to the same size, in fact so close you won't run into any problems. stymee must have thought it was the full size boat(late 70's), and not the fox chassis generation... lol

if you wanted to you can fit the bird wheels under your mont without any problems. the wheels i have in my album are from the 86 cougar. everything should be the same if you're pulling them out from the 83 bird.
so... what do you plan on doing with the extra axle in the bird? is it a 7.5 or was the 8.8 around then?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
oh, and don't forget to take the springs and struts from the bird too, otherwise it'll throw your whole alignment off, and you'll run into clearance problems like i did...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have an AOD in my '79 and you pretty much have to invent a method of attaching the crossmember to the body. The crossmember mounts are different on the early Fox. '78-82, i think.

Also, i had a T-bird driveshaft in my stash when i installed the 8.8 in my car. It was out of a Turbo Coupe, so it should be the same (i think those had T5s and AODs, just like Mustangs), and the T-bird shaft was too short.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank's i may go with the c-4 then. soopernaut i'm doin the swap as soon as i get the old one out. i can have it out in a day just let me know when you are ready. and zephyrEFI thank's for the driveshaft tip.

·
Registered
81 Posts
thank's i may go with the c-4 then. soopernaut i'm doin the swap as soon as i get the old one out. i can have it out in a day just let me know when you are ready. and zephyrEFI thank's for the driveshaft tip.
I should be able to pick it up next week. I'll send you an email.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts