Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Falcon Sedan Futura, 408 on bags
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I took the brake drums off my falcon to find a long history of saturated dirt and oil in my drum. The wheel cylinder doesn’t look bad, but who knows.... I thought maybe it’s leaking at the axle seals... so, since I’m new to American cars, I called falcon parts to get some help in identifying things and I have decided not to shop through them due to how rude he was on the phone. Said look on the internet and was rude the whole time. Not a good way to get a customer.
Anyways... here I am... I have no idea what rear end I have, as my car was originally a v6. And the drums look bigger than a falcons original... by these pictures (or more if needed) can anyone help me identify what I have? And what things I should fix/change while
I’m here.
C7C4B2BB-0991-44E8-B0FE-ACB122A33F4C.jpeg
AEF7B39E-CE4E-4EC5-AC8A-438403F775E5.jpeg
984F35E3-15EE-44C6-A91F-7F48F2AE7E4C.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
The bearing looks a little rough.
The shoes look soaked.

Is there a metal tag on the differential part of the rear axle?
If yes there will be two rows of numbers.

Post the numbers or just post a clear picture.

Not sure why anyone needs to be rude. We all just want to play with our cars.

Action

Reactions: Goldfinger1957

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I’ve been doing some more cleaning and YouTubing... I still don’t know where this rear ended comes from... no tag on the diff, but it is a Ford 8”. Axles are 28 spline, wheel cylinders are 7/8” and backing plate says 70858. Looks like the previous owner never put the shoe adjuster stops on the star.... doubt it wouldn’t come with one from factory..? And drum is stamped 73649

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
I am not exactly sure what the donor vehicle was.
There are so many vehicles that used that axle.
The numbers you posted are not in the format that Ford uses. They may be date codes but are likely something else.

The drum looks very new. And very likely NOT Ford. An aftermarket part.

This link may help
Ford Axle History and Identification: Ford Differentials (diyford.com)
Towards the bottom there are examples of tags

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Are you looking to figure out the axle to buy replacement parts?

Action

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty much... I cleaned up and sprayed the drum so that’s probably why it looks new. The backing plate has a Ford stamp on it. Mostly just want to know for replacement parts in regards to bearing and seals

·
Registered
34 Posts
Id want to replace the shoes as well. They look soaked. If your car has the singe master reservoir now is also a good moment to check and replace the brake cylinders.
One leaking cylinder and you have no pedal pressure.
Strange with falconparts I ve been a customer for almost 20 years and never had a rude experience. I do always communicate by e mail though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I will be replacing the pads, and wheel cylinders. The wheel cylinder is 7/8”. I bought the falcon size ones which now I’m finding out, won’t fit. I have a dual master cylinder in it now as well.
Does anyone know what cars used that rectangle backing plate mount? I’m seeing early Fords had a slightly circular design?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'd replace the axle seals as well, the computer parts stores have two listed but there is a third seal. It was used on early 8", I ran into this on my 64.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you carefully remove the bearings and seals and clean them, you should find numbers on them, then use the numbers to get replacements

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can also measure them and find them in any bearing catalog. They're pretty much standard sizing. You just have to find the section for inch ball bearings.

I did that years ago when I put new axles in my Falcon that had a 57 Ford rear in it. They had big bearings for the housing so measured the ID of the housing, OD of the axle and depth of the housing from the flange and looked them up. The locking ring just has to match the axle OD

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mostly just want to know for replacement parts in regards to bearing and seals

Ford 8" used under many Ford cars but not many fit under a '64 Falcon. 1950's 9" rears were narrow enough but scarce or big money aftermarket nowdays'.

The rear you are ID'ing is likely 60's V8 Falcon/Comet/Mustangs or 70's Maverick/Comet narrow OEM to fit the tires under fenders.

At least three different rear bearings and seals and brake backing plates for the 8" make parts applications more challenging .

A picture of the 8" center case will ID wether it's the later Maverick genre (C7OW ) and narrow bearrings etc parts selection. Early cases don't have the extra ribs.

8 inch ID tag numbers
ID tag Ratio Ring Gear Diameter (in) ID tag Ratio Ring Gear Diameter (in)
WCZ-E 2.80:1 8 WCZ-F 3.00:1 8
WCZ-F1 2.80:1 8 WCZ-G 3.50:1 8
WCZ-V1 2.79:1 8 WCZ-W 3.25:1 8
WDW-Z 3.00:1 8 WDJ-B 2.80:1 8
WDJ-C 3.00:1 8 WDJ-C1 3.00:1 8
WDJ-C2 3.00:1 8 WDW-AB 2.79:1 8
WDY-AA 3.00:1 8 WDY-HH 3.40:1 8
WFL-A 3.00:1 8 WDY-S 3.40:1 8

have fun

71 Maverick rear

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow thanks for that info... today I went to a mustang shop locally and asked for some help... based on axle length he says it is not from a falcon or mustang and trying to see the code on the axle end (which is hard to see) he says it’s most likely from a maverick... based on the square type plate for bearing/backing plate retainer it’s after 67 (?)...
He found my brake drums to be interesting for being on a falcon.... some research shows that the PO did the Shelby style rear drums and they are 10x2.5.. and came off a fairlane wagon. Has 7/8” wheel cylinders

Little update to though that are still interested in my newb questioning. Now onto tearing the other side down, redoing everything back to new.

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Little update to though that are still interested in my newb questioning. Now onto tearing the other side down, redoing everything back to new.
Always interested in questions. No matter if newb or otherwise.

Action

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when I pulled my axles they came right out, after some tugging to get past the bearing.... but looking on YouTube (mostly 9” tutorials) I have seen people having to open up the rear end assembly and pull a pin that holds the axles in... mine didn’t see to have that problem, in an 8” is the only thing holding the axle from sliding out, the bearing mating surfaces and the four bolts on the ends?

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
I believe integral axles have the clips for the axle shafts. Like the 7.5 & 8.8
The drop out differential design does not have clips

Action

1 - 19 of 19 Posts