FE ac clutch | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

FE ac clutch

Discussion in 'Ford Galaxie' started by Fig, May 26, 2020.

1. Fig

Fig Member

2020-05-26 15.29.07.jpg

We are looking for which ac clutch and compressor came on a 66 galaxie 500 7 litre with factory air. We know it is a single belt clutch we need. We are looking at one from a 63 tbird but don't know what engine it came off of. It's compressor # is c3sa-2875-b. Would this work?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2020
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

I think this looks close. And I would guess not. Only because that compressor was used for many years. The clutch not so much.

The spacing or position of the belt is important.

I should be able to look up the part # but will be in a bit.

Action
  3. Action

BTW that year Thunderbird only had one engine choice.
    390 4V

>>>>>Action
  4. Fig

Fig Member

I appreciate any help. If it's from a 390 that's promising being the same engine family. It sure looks the same from what I have seen in pictures.
  5. Action

Whew!!! From the 65 to 72 MPC

There are 3 different clutches for 1966 352 or 390 engines
    Type 4a, 2b and 6b and lastly 5b
    The differences are based on
    Clutch diameter
    Clutch width
    And distance of the face of the clutch to the enter of the V groove

(More to follow)

>>>>Action
  6. Action

The 3 different clutches for 1966 Full sized Ford with 352/390engines are:

Style = part number with the replaced by number as it applies
    5B = C6AZ 2884 A
    2B & 6B = C2AZ 2884 A replaced by C8OZ 2884 B
    4A = C2AZ 2884 C replaced by C8OZ 2884 G

The bottom two are used on 1962 to 1964 Ford Thunderbird. (May be later and that does not matter for this exercise)

Action
  7. Fig

Fig Member

Thank you for looking this up. So the chances of this lining up are low(1 out of 4). Sounds like the best thing is to have one in hand to set on the bracket to see if it lines up. This is like the power window switches, looks easy until you actually need one.
  8. fastmerc

fastmerc New Member

Fig,
    What is odd, is that there is no 428 listing for 66 or 67 cars in the 65-72 MPC. Either that is a short coming by Ford (under document), or the parts went obsolete and the numbers fell off the books....... I don't have an earlier version of Ford, only Merc MPC. Could check with my buddy.....

But Action is correct in that there are at least three different clutch designs with differing lengths (widths) of the clutch, which determines where the belt rides......

I have a new clutch sitting on a shelf, which came with a 66 428 LTD that I had previously. I do not know which one it is, but suspect the 6B series due to it's size....pretty thick!

Now book suggests that they are stamped with part numbers......we'll see. I'll try and dig it out tomorrow to see which one it is.

Still doesn't help you with which pump you need......
    Stay tuned!
    Fastmerc
  9. Action

I rather think this is a Ford thing. In that Ford used some vendor for the clutch and that vendor could not supply enough for all car lines. So they used more than one vendor. One of those may be more plentiful in actual production since there are 3 for your combo not 4. AND two of those were replaced by the same part number. WHICH are also the same part as used on that year Bird!

My suggestion is to measure what you have and ask the seller for the same.

Action
  10. Fig

Fig Member

That is the problem, we don't have one to measure. He let his son have the car for years and the first thing kids do is remove the ac compressor/clutch. He peaty much destroyed the car. I can't believe we have come this far with it.

Fastmerc
    Let me know what you find out on your 428 clutch, measurements/pictures would be wonderful.
    Thank you
    Kelly
  11. Action

Oh, for some reason I thought you needed a clutch.

Are there pulleys left?

>>>>Action
  12. Fig

Fig Member

Sorry I wasn't thinking that the ac clutch is really mutiple parts. We need the ac pulley and clutch unit.
    Looks like we can get or have refurbished everything else.
  13. Action

Do you need the compressor?

What is pictured is a compressor and clutch.
    The title of the thread is AC clutch.
    You state in post 10 that stuff is removed and missing. Compressor & clutch
    What are you seeking. Clutch only or compressor and clutch?

Action
  14. redrag

redrag Well-Known Member Respected Member

measure from compressor mount holes out to where the belt goes. compare it to the t-bird unit. as long as the hose connections(rotolock) are the same , you can use it
  15. Fig

Fig Member

Really just the clutch unit. The set up in the first post is the only clutch unit I can find available . Sometimes have to look at a package deal to get the part we need. We already have a York compressor from the era ( not form this car) that we can use for a core.
  16. Fig

Fig Member

Redrag
    Good idea.
  17. fastmerc

fastmerc New Member

Fig,
    Sorry for the late reply!
    I did look in my Aug 67 Linc-Merc MPC and they simply list two AC pumps, either York or Tecumseh! Not a lot of detail, only where the drain plugs are and that the Tecumseh was cast iron! The MPC says for 66/67 models A C F (A-Galaxie F-Mustang/Cougar was YORK.

Now the clutch was a different matter! WAY LESS info on this in the older book! Not even an illustration.

SO, I didn't x-ref the part numbers between the two MPC releases, but the type that you have in your original picture is very similar to the clutch that I have! I have no numbers stamped in it, however, there is a good coat of paint that could be covering it....

Here are the measurements: The Diameter at the outer (single) sheave is 6-3/4". The diameter of the large flat area is roughly 6-7/16". Fore to aft....front to back is 2-1/8". Sheave is 1/2" wide, and flat area is 1-7/16" wide. From back of clutch flat surface to middle of sheave is aprox 1-13/16".

The part number for an original is C6AZ-2884-A and could be marked C4AA-A or C2AA-A.

If you look at the chart, it will drive you crazy......cuz all the measurements I have seem to be in the middle of the values in the chart, which are either 1/16" larger or smaller...... I should have used my slide caliper instead of my Stanley tape.....!

It closely matches the type "2A" or "6B" from the 75 book where they list the size as 6.7"x 2.28"....

Bearing on this clutch is very smooth. Condition of the sheave is nice. The wire was solidly spliced with a crimp type connection. Covered in what I could consider a protective flat-ish black paint..... I like semi-gloss for these pieces.

It is heavy.

Let me know if I can help further! Ping me via contact feature....

I have a pile of 65-67 parts left...... Some NOS, some aftermarket, some very good used....... wiper motors, heater motors, brake shoes, brake shoes, brake shoes...did I mention brake shoes? LTD tail lamps.....lens....buckets....

Cheers!
    Steve
  18. Fig

Fig Member

20191005_161757.jpg 20191005_160727.jpg Thank you all for the work looking into this.
    Here is what she looks like today. We finally found a couple of factory wheels that the front hubcaps would mount to.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
  19. Action

Nice!

What is on the left inner fender in front of the master cylinder?

Action
  20. Fig

Fig Member

Factory cruise control, not currently working but on the list.